A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dhtml and flash

How do I need to export my movie so that my DHTML drop down menu drops in front of my movie instead of behind.

Thanks.

I think I've had this problem before. What are you storing your drop down menu in? A div or a frame, perhaps? Now there are probably a lot of people that would know better than me, but I believe that if you insert each element into conatiners that allow you to specify the z-index you can then stack them so your menu drops in front of the movie. If that doesn't work, then I am not sure, but i do know the problem has something to do with the way the browser places your different elements on a page. Different tags are given higher priority as far as stacking order goes.

I don't think it has anything to do with the flash movie file, or the way you are exporting it? maybe if you can tell us how you are displaying the movie? Like if you are embedding it into your html file, or what you are doing. I'm more than willing to help if I know the answer..

My movie is embedded in an html file. Thanks.

ok?

So your movie file is emedded into an html file, so how about you dhtml menu? Is it located on the same page? A different page, and you load each into a frameset? We'll break this down for me.

Go to http://www.imaginuity.com It's similar to this site, just imagine the menu as drop downs.

My DHTML is within the HTML file. I'm not understanding the loading each into a frameset.

hmmm.....

I see, well what is going on in that page is the author put the menu in a simple table, then constructed a quick function to check for the flash plug-in, and if it is there placed the embed tag into an object tag, and that was it. So in the same sense you could create your drop-down menu using simple tables, or however you would prefer, and place the entire table into a div tag, give it some insane z-index, like 100, and then embed the flash below it in the same way that other page was done. This should allow your drop-down's to essentially drop-down. just make sure that if you are using any sort of container to hold each of the drop-down parts that you give them there own unique z-index as well. What I have done before is place each menu in it's own div tag, and then given the div a z-index, starting at maybe 50, and then working back. If this does not work for you it may simply be an issue of how the embed tag is read by the browser, but give this a try. By the way, looking at that example I have to ask - why not build the menu to be part of your flash movie?

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Ti...75/index.shtml

Wow! Who would have thought that there was a solution under our noses the whole time.

Thanks a bunch! very useful information.