A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I Discovered Yet Another Incompatibility!

Used to be that with Flash 5 player, if you attach an MC to the mouse (START DRAG) and dragged the MC OUTSIDE of the movie limits, you still got the correct screen coordinates relative to the movie. This had great uses, and worked in Flash 4 format.

Now, with Flash 6 player, the movie does NOT track the MC outside of the movie limits!! A game of mine is now partially screwed because of this, and there's no "workaround". I need to track mouse coords outside of the movie limits but can't. ARRGH!

Here's an example: http://www3.sympatico.ca/spore/wip/Golf_game.html

Click on PLAYGUIDE or TUTORIAL. Then in the bottom right corner, there is a blue arrow. You can click the arrow, hold down the mouse button, and drag left and right to rotate the arrow (it also moves a 3D arrow in the sky). As you will see, if you use Flash 6 player, you cannot move the mouse outside the movie window and still have the arror rotate. But you COULD with Flash 5 player.

RB

Beyond the Sea
    yeouch. Yeah, that really screws things up...

anyone else experience this?

Since the golf game uses invisible movieclips, it doesn't really demonstrate the problem.

This movie does: http://www.lilgames.com/tests/test_of_movie_drag.html

When viewed in Flash 5, you can drag the blue box out of the flash movie limits and still track its coordinates. I felt this was very useful.

RB

Hi RayBeez,

Initially, I thought, it is more reasonable that the movieClip should not be drag out of the teritory of SWF. You like the side effect, but I hate it. Because sometimes when I stop drag, the movieClip is far out and there is no way to drag it back.

Please Continue to read.

Then I make the model in Flash MX (not Flash 5). Surprise ! What you like is removed and what I hate stays. The movieClip with button is dragged and stopped at the edge of the swf bounder. However, the cursor is still in 'hand shape' out of the swf territory. Then I release the button to stopDrag. Guess what ? Shoo ! The movieClip disappeared like a wind ! I dont know why that movieclip became invisible. I guess the movieClip now is at the position of my mouse cursor where I realease the button.

I am thinking, why this feature is adopted into Flash MX.