A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: check for loaded movies in MCs

Question

trying to load movie into mc, however, if the movie clip has already been loaded, then do nothing.

this is what i came up with...obviously it dont work...

on (release) {
    if (true) {
    ifFrameLoaded ("_root.menu.gallery.webdesign.container", 25) {
    break;
    }
    } else {
    loadMovie ("flash/gallery_web.swf", "_root.menu.gallery.webdesign.container");
    }
    }

all i need to do is check if a movie has been loaded into the mc "container". there are 5 of these containers that will also have this same checking method.

please help!!!! thanks in advance...

if((myInstance.getBytesTotal>0)&&(myInstance.getBy tesTotal==myInstance.getByteslLoaded)){

}

that should do it.. umm I have "myInstance.getBytestotal>0" because if flash didn't get time to check for getBytesTotal it will return -1...

Question check for loaded movies in MCs

toxic_acid:
    thanks for your help...however, i dont understand how to incorporate your code into mine, or use your idea....

sorry...not that familiar with actionscript.

thanks again...

replace the if condition with the one I wrote and change myInstance to the pathe of your instance..

Intead of checking if a particular frame has been load (which I dont think you can do if you are loading external file) you are checking the total byte size and comparing to the loaded one..

toxic_acid,
    this is what i have come up with:

on (release) {
    if ((_root.menu.gallery.webdesign.container.getBytesT otal>0) && (_root.menu.gallery.webdesign.container.getBytesTo tal == _root.menu.gallery.webdesign.container.getByteslLo aded)) {
    break;
    } else {
    loadMovie ("flash/gallery_web.swf", "_root.menu.gallery.webdesign.container");
    }
    }

unfortunately, this does not work either....ideas???

the movie loads in fine, however, if i go to another page, and go back, the movie loads in again (which we are trying to avoid).

to another page like with the browser? this will reset all you var's..

could you show me your swf or something?

my example can be found at:

http://www.macrocommunications.com/new2.html

once the flash file is loaded, click on the top floor, then click on the section for webdesign. you will see how the gallery pieces load in with the silouhettes. if you were to click on another section, say the cds or email section, then go back to webdesign, they re-load in, which is what we are trying to avoid. this movie with the gallery pieces and people are the movie gallery_web.swf.

this should happen for every one of the sections. 5 in total. those sections with archectecture (the building floors) are MCs in the main movie. each section has an instance MC called "container" in it where the movie is loaded into. so webdesign has the container that loads the movie gallery_web.swf, and cd-roms have the container that loads gallery_cd.swf into it? am i explaining this correctly? if not, you can AIM me at JasonWeamer.

thanks again.

toxic_acid

can you help me further? anyone else?