A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My mac OS9.2.2 can't open the Action window. Flash5.0a crashes

My system is Mac OS 9.2.2, G4

I just bought a Flash 5, right after I installed, updated to 5.0a, and entered all my serial number, The software crashed right away (this happens everytime I reinstall). And also everytime I try to open the Action window, it crashes and gives me the same error which is a type 2 error has occurred. This happened when I had Mac OS 9.1, and I updated it to 9.2.1 (still crash), then 9.2.2 (still crash)

I did try the following:
    1) Restart the software with all extension off
    2) Trash the preference
    3) Zap the PRAM
    4) Allocate more prefered memory to 50000k
    5) Turn off the virtual memory
    6) Rebuild my desktop
    7) Run a virus scan
    8) Trash the software and flash prefrence and Reinstall with all extensions off
    9) Start my system from Mac OS 9 CD (can't even open a software and with error saying "missing Winsock Lib) then turning off all extension except Winsock Lib and still no luck
    10) Remove the whole Preference folder from system folder, then restart Flash

Please please help
    Do u guys have any problem at all runing your Flash 5.0a on G4 OS 9.x

Is it just my OS or the software not compatible with Mac OS 9.x

Despeartely need help

Blimey, tried everything there...

Flash 5.0a does normally work OK in OS 9 (it crashes occasionally), if that makes you feel any better.
    (don't know why it should...).

The only thing i can suggest is putting the RAM up more, to say 80000k if you've got enough memory.

Did try it and still no luck.

Thank u though

The only other thing is a complete system reinstall, or if you can, format the HD and start from scratch...a real pain.

Thank you again SJT,

I've never reformatted HD before. If I do, all my work files that save in this computer, will it be eliminated too? What about emails and address book? What are the process of reformatting HD and dos & don'ts that I should know .

thank u for your help

Oh one more thing:

If I do reformat HD, what OS will it be after reformatting. Will it go back to OS9.0? If yes, that's going to be a pain because I hate going thru downloading updaters and updating from 9.0 to 9.04 to 9.1 to 9.2.1 to 9.2.2

If you format , you need to back up everything you want to keep. It erases your entire HD.

Emails depend on your client, if you're using one of the microsoft clients it will all be in "microsoft user data" in your documents folder.

And yes, this will mean you revert back to 9.0 if that's the only CD version you have. If you still have the updaters, you could back those up too before you reformat.

Sam I really appreciate your help here. one more question,

I have 3 different HD icons on desktop, one is harddrive which consists of system folder and some applications, the other two icons I have work files and personal stuff.

When I reformat HD, will it just erase stuff in my "harddrive" only, or will it erase everything in the other 2 also?

it will erase everything, unless you have physical seperate HDs in the machine for each icon.
    But as you do have a partition for your system, you could try just erasing that and installing a new system folder on there,

Most crashes of Flash5 on Mac are caused by corrupt fonts!

B4 doing any format read this:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...t_font_mac.htm

go to http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ and search for keyword "crash" for more info

a lot of tips here:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=131464

and finally: update the firmware of your G4 (not sure, but it may help, my Flash seems to be much more stable)

Yea check those fonts first. I had the pleasure of reformatting a few times, and it really does become a pain in the ... Like SJT said, you need to back up often, always consider that your system can bomb at any time. I have 5 partitions, over 2 hard drives. If I'm lucky, one would bomb out, but the other would still be there, although if I loose my system hard drive I would have to reinstall both X and 9.I make a preference CD, of all my pref, extension control panels and other things at least once a month on a CD-rw. Doing this allows me to trouble shoot and restore my system to its previous state if I loose data, or get currupt system files. This method became very useful, and turned a week restore in a matter of hours when my system bombed in Dec 2001. Wow, this is too long.

Hello.

I don't know if I can be on any help here but I will tell you what I know works for me. I have the same system software 9.2.2 and Same version of Flash. It does work fine for me. The only thing I can suggest is that you possibly don't have the proper extensions on. Try going to extension manager. There should be a Folder Called "Control Pannels" and a check marker box to its left. Click on that to load all of your extensions. Granted it does eat alot of memory, especially if you don't have it. This is what I have and it works for me (because I don't know exaclty what extensions I need or don't need for any given app, I just have em all on). I have no clue if that would help or not. But formatting your HD is always a last resort.