A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how to get nice clean text in fireworks like i can in freehand

hey
    why is it that i cant create nice clean perfect text in fireworks yet i can in freehand? my fireworks text is always jagged, i am printing stuff onto shirts and i have to have perfectly smooth text and stuff, can anyone explain this to me?

When you are in your text editor in Fireworks, set the 'Anti-Alias' setting to 'Smooth Anti-Alias.' When set on 'No Anti-Alias,' your text will look hard-edged. Feel free to contact me with any other questions regarding Fireworks or Flash.

To contact me, send an email to mrm@rockuspro.com.

:: Matt Martindale of Rockus Productions ::

that doesnt seem to solve my problem, when i create text in freehand i can zoom in and its always smooth, no matter what setting i use in fireworks, when i zoom in its always jagged?

richard

The problem could also depend on which font you are using. I usually don't run into any problems with font appearance in Fireworks, although some fonts are made to be either small or large. Which font are you using? Do you have this problem with ALL fonts or just certain ones?

Freehand is vector and Fireworks is raster. That is why your Freehand text can scale without it's distortion and jaggedness.

hannibal - ok that explains alot, however, small text in freehand still looks a bit crap, so im not sure what the hell to do.

rock - im just using bold arial. u would happen to have the font Wtf New Strike?

richard

I apologize, but I do not yet have 'New Strike'. It's actually a font that is similar to the font you often see on 2advanced.com. I do know that they create their own fonts, so you will not be seeing exact, but only similar fonts to that of 2Advanced.

As for your problem with fonts, Hannibal Smith is correct, although I can tell you that Fireworks handles fonts fine. There may be something small we are overlooking that may be causing the problem. Whatever you do, do NOT re-scale fonts in Fireworks. In that case, Fireworks WILL distort your text. To make text bigger or smaller, you need to use the text editor in order to increase or decrease the text size. Remember that vector graphics can be re-scaled to any size you want, and never lose clearness, and that's the difference between raster and vector. Hopefully, you will figure it out soon.

ok when using fireworks or freehand, do i need to convert my shapes and text to vectors, and if so how? im just learning freehand and ever shape i create in it looks even more jagged then what i create in fireworks, yet freehand is suppose to be vector.

is it a bad idea to try and create print work in fireworks?

thanks
    richard