A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Weirdness with levels & LoadMovie question

Exclamation

I've just started looking into the Load Movie feature and came across something strange when TellTargetting MCs on levels.

In level0 I have a button which will tell a movie in level1 to play. In the TellTarget properties I have to target:

_level1/movie

not: /_level1/movie, like I seem to read everywhere. Even the Flash help doesn't give the correct code.

Also, is there a way to load a movie into a certain layer? So that it can sit behind objects.

-- Leto

there is no difference between /_level1/ and _level1. The first / says "Go to the root". Which would ordinaraly be the correct way to do it.. But since _levels are special.. it does not matter. You can start right off with _level1 and Flash will know what you mean.

--

You can load a SWF into any LEVEL you want. Just specify the level number in the load movie command. HOWEVER.. LAYERS are different, and are contained within the movies. You cannot load a movie into a layer within another movie.

Note also that whatever movie you start with is automatically assigned to level0, so you cannot load any movie underneath the first movie, only on top of it. You can, however, create a third movie, whose only function is to load your other movies into different levels in the correct order.

------------------
    Scott Richards
    http://www.rjscs.com/scotty
    scotty@rjscs.com

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Scottris. BUT... I assure you that when I was trying the level target, I had to use _level1/, as /_level1/ would not work.

-- Leto

Hmm... I guess I was wrong.. I have not tested it, but my Flash Help file agrees with you.. paths should not have a / before a _level.

My mistake sorry.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

If you have a movie clip with a button that you want to call to another level you would have to use the
    /_levelx. but from the main timeline its just _levelx. And if you were to have an action from one of your
    loaded movies in its layer you would have to use the /_levelx the / is used to bring you to the root level of the
    movie. So if you wanted to call a movie clip in layer 2 that had a name of dog and you were calling from a
    loaded movie in layer 7 your command would look like /_level2/dog. You can use specified layers to have
    things going on in the background but you would make your base movie just a shell to house all the movie
    clips. So if you had 25 movies that were to be loaded into separate layers, and the base of the movie (the
    part you want things to appear behind ) had 20 clips you wanted behind it. You would set that movie in layer
    21 and go down from there to have things appear in the background 19,18,17,16,etc.. the closest object to
    the base being in level19, and level22 and up from there to have things appear in the foreground. I have used
    this method extensively, you can see an example at www.dt.navy.mil then go to the multimedia site. Hope this
    helps, Oh if you do build this way you need to keep great notes cause it can get real confusing quick.
    Regards, Bill
    ------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

[This message has been edited by Pope de Flash (edited 01 March 2000).]