A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pulling variables from a URL:

Is this possible? Example:

someone goes to

http://www.server.com/flashmovie.html?variable=value

The .swf examines that URL, and parses it (is parse the right word?) such that the variable and value are extracted and used in the movie.

Maybe this is what generator is for, but I'm just looking for a way to get dynamic text into a movie..

close

if you have in the html flashmovie.swf?variable=value, the value of variable automatically gets passed to the flash movie. however, it doesn't automatically happen when attached to the url.

however, with php or some other similar language, you could have the script capture the variable being passed in the url and append that to the flash movie. it would look something like <? print "flashmovie.swf?variable=$variable"; ?>

[Edited by mbannonb on 04-23-2002 at 12:49 AM]

hmmm.. do yuo know, do the variables get processed at the root level? meaning, if i have a movie clip that wants to use that variable, shoudl i reference it as _root.variable? or /:variable ? .. it doens't seem to be connecting for some reason.. ?

it was the root level; the next question that i have is can you pass more than one variable to the movie?

movie.swf?var1=foo&var2=blah

it doesn't seem to be working.. maybe i'm doign something wrong?