A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HEY JELVE - LOOK AT THIS! EVERY FLASHERS OPINION NEEDED

Smile

What do you think about remixing? It's been done in design communities for years now. We are all pretty close here on the Flashkit board (snicker, snicker) ahem, I think that it'd be cool to "remix" a designated page each month with the unique design perspective of other Flashers. It'd be cool to see how something like rockwildaz.8m.com would look through the eye of the guy who did [OHH2] or dreams2.com. The site doesn't have to actually work - it can be a one scene mockup. I've seen this done before in large design communites before with large companies like Adobe, Nike and others. What do you guys think?

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    This looks like a wonderful idea. We did something simmilar with Quake III levels... we planetquake BBS followers got a few maps and tried to put our distinctive ways of designing into them: the results? A few wonders, a few disasters.

I think this is an extra kool idea. Go for it!

Sounds like a great idea Evil. I agree that this would be pretty interesting.

Diaper Changer

Huh... I'm lost

Hey my site is mentioned and I'm lost to what 'remix' you talking about Mika.... do you mean peeps here could like do a remake or 'model' of my site and others?

Please... I'm a BaBy.... clear my mind please

I like the idea.

This is an interesting idea, Evilboy.
    I think you should be in charge of organizing it.
    As I understand it, there will be a member's site that will be re-worked by other members in their own style. You'll need willing Guinea pigs to make their FLAs available for download, I guess. It seems like something could be learned all parties.
    I also think the collaborations might lead to some good business relationships.
    Tell us more about how you think it should work - details like how the 'subject site' gets chosen, how long people work on before showing result, what body parts will be removed from people who download the FLA just to steal content. Stuff like that.

Diaper Changer

Hmmmm... ok cool I get it now and I'm for it

Since my site name is here already... I'll give it up as the first site to 'mimic' or redo I'm all for partnerships as alot of FKers here can testify.

So 'remix' away @ roCkwildaz!com. Hey... if I like the remix I might just use it or even buy it

I could be second in command too.

Smile Settings......

BabyHugh: read what Jelve said.

Jelve: Until we all have DSL connectiuons in our home, FLA transfers may be a problem. But you DSL, T1 bastards shoudl
    have no problem.

If people wanmt to trade FLA's it's alright anyways, but they have to remember that it is a piece of intellectual property and belongs to the sole creator. I suggest just looking at the site and re-creating it your own Flash program.

The Setup
    Permission to trade FLA's will be on the participants - many people might feel antsy about it. However, maybe approaching the Flasher, saying that you like his or her work and would like to do your own interpretation using your own unique style.

Remixinng
    Just a one-scene mockup (maybe a couple of frame actions asd a few scenes for button testing and transitions) with a couple sfx and music loops interpreted in your own style. Of course this will take time and is strictly a artisitc thing and will take some commitment - but it will be really cool to see how these sites get translated.

The Money Shot
    I'm getting another domain name just as adesign outlet and I'd be glad to rotate SWF file son the server. We're planning to get a couple hundred MB of space and dedicate it to Flash-only artwork and movies. We're planning out the basics right now at Biotech and I'll inform you guys of the status later in October.

I think it could be big. And Flashkit will be to thanks!

Diaper Changer

I'm all for open source... I have no problem sharing my fla with anyone. But some people are very possesive of there work and I can understand why that. But I'm all for an open environment where we share with everyone what we know and intern even developing our own individual talents/skills.

So... I endorse this man I'm like 'Linus Torvalds' of FLASH..... lol

Babyhug: I still had not seen your work. Can I say that is stunning? To mimic it? Man, the only thing I could do with it is to diminish its qualities

I'll do my best, and I am in... ho ho hoooo!!!

I think this could be a really good way for some of the less experienced designers to see what others would do with their basic idea.
    If they subsequently end up using a significant portion of a re-design, it would be a nice idea to give a credit for the design help/guidance.
    It would seem that a volunteering of one's site for re-design would be the best way to choose the subject. It could be an easy way to annoy someone if half a dozen flashers re-design their site w/o being asked to.
    Let's see if there are any members who want to take you up on this by subjecting their own site to the machinations of The Evil One and his minions.
    Who's first in line?

Diaper Changer

Originally posted by jelve
    Let's see if there are any members who want to take you up on this by subjecting their own site to the machinations of The Evil One and his minions.
    Who's first in line?
    Well I think phooka just took on the task of FLASH enabling good old :: roCkwildaz!com :: Hey who knows... it might just launch alongside it as well. I'm hoping to do so on October 15

Smile Rules Rules Rules.........

Permission and volunteer shoud lbe the basic rules. Only people that want sites remixed shoudl have them. And any volunteers are welcome too.

I'll have to develop some formal rules, but starting with rockwildaz.8m.com would be cool.

I might do some remixing too and I'll kee peveryone posted ion the new URL where you can put your creations. It should be coming in late October.

I would not mind my site to be remixed. I don't mind givin' all my fla files. However:

- I don't think anyone is gonna be interested in remixing my site: not good enough...

- I feel kinda' ashamed of my very primitive way of programming: it would take ages simply to debug it!

But if that's the deal, I'll be there.

Smile FLA

phooka: How large is the FLA file?

164 kb that transform into a pretty 27 kb swf file... however, my main page will be completely done in one or two weeks, with a bit more sounds and a "news" system, that will increase it to the 250 per 40, I'd say...

Lightbulb hwa a a a ahhh

great idea Mika, you truly are an evil genious

Sounds good. If I knew I could design worth a [beep] I would join up. But I feel I'd butcher anything I tried to remix, lol. But I'll keep trying with my own stuff.... Someday I can call myself a designer as well as a cartoonist. For now I'm "Cion, Flash Cartoonist for Hire" alone.

To Cion:

Well, isn't this an hilarious footer?

ROFL!!!!!! You know I can't get away from ppl commenting about the footer these days! It's too popular! Lol. I must have done a good job!

ANYWAYS.....

Back on to the original thread.

Remixing sites is a great idea.

I watched this thing on VJing in London, New York and Tokyo last night. It would be rather like that only using sites.

Hey that's spawned another idea, maybe us muso types such as myself, could write some music and then others could create Flash visuals along to the music, maybe we could get some actual VJ's involved?

Just an idea.

Stu