A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: schools-colleges-scholarships?

schools-colleges-scholarships?

Hi everyone,

usually people around here know about quite good links for anime stuff.

This time I'd like to know if you have info about nice colleges, scholarships, etc. where it is possible to study design and animation. It doesn't have to be just in the US....it could be info about that from any country....anyone?

argonauta.-7*

FK's Official A&A Addict
    uhm.... university we get alot of design here at the free university of amsterdam (free as in free to do what u want not free as in no charge )

It is hard to study anime or manga lesson in my college, so I participated in an underground doujinshi group. I think most college have that too.

i think designers @ nintendo made an animation thing or whatnot

http://www.digipen.edu

there was some good ones up in scotland.. but they were mainly programming... alot of these courses are games and animation now.. hey i'm doing one (but mainly games)

hmmm. well i'm 22 now, i gotta start learning something....i dunno, i think I'll be a taxi driver by day, a flash designer by night!!!

No serious....this third world country i live in doesn't have good design and art schools.....I'm trapped.....I'd like to go to Amsterdam, but that city is too crazy for me....stay there for one night....and i partied as i never did in my life (no drugs, sorry, i'm not into that).....

argonauta.-7*

I've got a good 3 1/2-5 years before I gotta think about/go to college

I think there is some kind of national centre for computer animation at bournemouth university http://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk and the royal college art offer masters degrees in animation but you'll need a fine arts degree first for that one.

Wink

Hey this one was in a Electronic Gaming Monthly Magazine i saw.Its http://www.fullsail.com . it sounds pretty wicked im only 15 and dont have to worry about that yet but i was looking on that site.Its in Florida so if your in the US you dont have to leave the country or anything.hope this helps

noodle baker
    There're many design and art schools/unis here in germany, I'm going to start studying graphic design in september, the school is the best in munich but a little expensive...you can also go to a public university wich is for free.
    It's not that easy to get in, but easier than if you were german...you have to do a german course and something called Studien Kolleg to validate your high school if you haven't gone to a german school in your country...
    I guess if you call the counties' you want to know more about consulates they'll give you more info about studying abroad, at least the german one does that...

good luck
    :*
    Dani

Well Argonauta in your favor I was living in a 2 bedroom house sleeping on the floor making 20 dollars cleared a month. I dropped out of High School when I was 16 after repeating the 9th grade 3years consecutively. I was in some trouble and all I had was a laptop that my brother got for me from someone I don't know and there I went. I attended an art school here and after the first week they were not very happy that I drew in a style different than Disney and Nickelodeon. So I dropped that too.

All that to say....colleges are not always the ultimate solution for some. All it takes really, is the will and strength to succeed. If you have these....there's no limit to what you can accomplish. So keep on keepin on...you'll be alright

d7history

FK's Official A&A Addict
    lol argonauta amsterdam isn't that bad (i should knowi lived there all of my live )

only the wensday, thursday friday saturday and sunday is partying night somthinges the tuesdays and mondays but that isn't too often

but seriously amsterdam is a good place to start a course of art, or webdesign... it's incorporated in computerscience classes and we have the university of art here in amsterdam.. so choices enough

noodle baker
    Originally posted by dementia7
    colleges are not always the ultimate solution for some. All it takes really, is the will and strength to succeed. If you have these....there's no limit to what you can accomplish. So keep on keepin on...you'll be alright

d7history
    That's kinda true but in developing countries things are a little different, in Brasil for example there're so many people looking for a job that a college diploma makes all the difference, specially if you studied abroad and learned other languages
    As I intend to go back to Brazil somewhen it is important for me to have gone to college

Dani

Originally posted by mescaline
    As I intend to go back to Brazil somewhen it is important for me to have gone to college
    Hey, du bist aus Brazilien, und studiertst in Deutschland, mescaline?...fachhochschule oder Uni?

Anyway, what u say it's true. If you work in an enterprise without a college degree, you'd never reach the Boss position (at least that's the way it works in my country). That is, if you intend to always work for somebody else.

My goal is to become independent, but that's another problem: money...no money no opportunities. Of course you can be good, and if you're good enough somebody with money will see that and give you a hand. But that doesn't happen everywhere, at least not here, where there is no animation industry (nor an animation culture: anime series in Ecuador: DBZ, pokemon and digimon....evangelion never came here)...and the internet industry is just being born here (in a country where the maximum bandwith you can have is 128 kb). From my point of view, at least here it is kinda necessary to study in some college.

On the other side, I trully believe, you learn nothing in college. I mean, you can learn the technique, but never the talent. That is somethin you are born with. And it depends on how you use the talent u have, and how much you want to fullfill your dreams.

Originally posted by dementia7
    So keep on keepin on...you'll be alright
    Well, thanks D7.
    I read somewhere in a book called "the alchimist" something that i think is quite true (it was in spanish, so i hope i translate it well):

people soon realize what's their true reason to live. That's why they give up on it so easily.

I think I always knew what I wanted to do, but kinda fell asleep, or took another road (here I am working with databases, when what i want is to draw, design, create). But, well, in that aspect I think I have a lot to thank u D7, cause when I discovered your site, I kinda woke up and said: "hey, that guy is doing a movie by himself, because he wanted to. And well, he draws alright, I know i can do it too"...of course, I really enjoy your work and respect it a lot. I've learned a lot from it...but I'm becoming too phylosophical so i'll stop writing know.

Still don't know what college to choose, but, anyway...there's no better school than life itself.

Originally posted by justice strike
    lol argonauta amsterdam isn't that bad (i should knowi lived there all of my live )
    justice, amsterdam rules. The hell of a party i had there, and.....the girls, boy, the girls are out of this world over there

noodle baker
    Originally posted by argonauta
    Originally posted by mescaline
    Hey, du bist aus Brazilien, und studiertst in Deutschland, mescaline?...fachhochschule oder Uni?
    yep!! aber ich studiere noch nicht, ich werde im september anfangen und zur eine privat schule gehen, kein uni oder fachhochschule...
    can u really speak german or were you fooling me?

Dani

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mescaline
    Originally posted by argonauta

can u really speak german or were you fooling me?

Dani
    ich habe 8 Jahren in eine deutsche Schule studiert, deswegen mag ich deutsch nicht so gern, aber, ja, ich kann deutsch sprechen (glaube ich )

noodle baker
    Then why don't you come to study here? I mean, if you studied in a german school it should be quite easy for you to get a place in the uni here...

Dani

Well, to get the high-school title you have to study years. For the german title it is 13 years. So I kinda was lazy so i just studied 12 years highschool. That means, although I know german quite well, I have to spend a year in the Studien Kolleg....

I dunno, I guess I'll study here, but not design, instead, i think I'll go for IT. I dunno

Are there any italians in here....I've heard design schools in Italy are the best!
    [Edited by argonauta on 05-08-2002 at 03:52 PM]

noodle baker
    I think that's why I've choosen this private school, they just ask you to bring some work you did, like sketches or so, and if they like you're in...no german test, no studien kolleg, but I have to pay about €300/month...but I think it's worth