dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: couple customers forced removal of flash site:(

I am totally let down by the ignorance of some people. I made a very nice flash site for a lady who owns a business and because of a couple of whiny customers I was forced to return to the old boring html site. This is really a bummer because one person thought that flash was evil and would open a back door to her computer. Others just refused to install the player. It is a terrible dilemma because html is so dull, yet a business can not afford to lose even a few customers a week really. What have the rest of you done to counteract these complaints. Of course my customer is my friend as well and I was not able to convince her to ignore the few with big mouths. I even offered to put up an alternative html link for the morons but she said it would be too much of a pain and that she hated those entry pages.

Is there a way to make a flash site default to an alternate html site if the flash does not load properly?

Thanks.

flashing since v3
    use a flash detect and then a redirect?

check out the flash deployment kit:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...oyment_readme/

it does exactly what you want,
    and is pretty easy to set up.

my clients ask if everyone can see the flash... i say 'macromedia put out a stat that says like over 98% of people have the flash plugin...' my clients are always happy with the 98% thing. and im pretty sure it is 98%.. i duno, i may be wrong, but oh well.

That's Life

Dude, Old Spice, I feel for you that's for sure but there's pretty much nothing you can do but keep the Flash site for your own portfolio. We all know there are people out there like the whiny customers but...that's life right? It's not your fault that your client would much rather leave up a boring HTML page and lose out on the benefits and dynamics of Flash because of 2 measily people.

flashing since v3
    convince them, that with flash you are actually reaching out to more customers.... the people impressed with the site will come back, and/or even tell their friends.... and the people that complained, will one day see sense....

until then, look at it from a design point of view... not of your client's personal opinion, that a flash/html splash screen may just be the answer...

Couldn't help it ...

If the customer is ignorant ... inform him and convince him
    If the customer is stupid ... inform him and try to convince him
    If the customer is an idiot ... double your wage and give him what he wants

This applies also for the 'she' customers.

Remember ... the customer is always king, even if he/she's plain stupid !

Smalco

Why not just put up a static html page that gives customers the option of the 'low-band width' site or the 'flash required' site. Then they can choose. Very little overhead involved and most people with high bandwidth will choose the flash version.

Originally posted by smalco64
    Couldn't help it ...

If the customer is ignorant ... inform him and convince him
    If the customer is stupid ... inform him and try to convince him
    If the customer is an idiot ... double your wage and give him what he wants

This applies also for the 'she' customers.

Remember ... the customer is always king, even if he/she's plain stupid !

Smalco

The correct option is the one stated before. Use Flash detection with Javascript or another method. If they have flash... send them to your flash site. If they don't have flash don't even give them the option right away to see the flash site or download the plugin. If someone who hates flash and won't download it doesn't have to deal with it at all then they won't complain. You should have a way for people to download the flash plugin from the html page but it should be small and out of the way. Flash is great and most people that have any sort of logical brain will see that. To those who don't f#ck 'em but don't do so to your friend/customer in the process.

I recommend trying this:

http://blog.deconcept.com/flashobject/

it can do EXACTLY what you want, and is better than the macromedia alternative.

With this those naysayers won't even realise there is a flash page...