A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to make sweet looking sites like this one...

OK I was looking at this site:
    http://www.psychresourcenet.com/flash.html

and I have been teaching myself flash for the past couple of weeks and I know the main things, tweening, symbols and such, but how the heck do you build a page like that one? I don't see a way in Flash to make all of those quick flashes in the links and all that stuff....what the heck am I doing wrong?

Dynamic Systems, Inc. mikaelian's Avatar
    Originally posted by Xrider
    OK I was looking at this site:
    http://www.psychresourcenet.com/flash.html

and I have been teaching myself flash for the past couple of weeks and I know the main things, tweening, symbols and such, but how the heck do you build a page like that one? I don't see a way in Flash to make all of those quick flashes in the links and all that stuff....what the heck am I doing wrong?
    What is so complicated there? (Nice site bu the way.)

one of the keys to flash is creativity.

flash isnt too hard if you have a perfect vision in your head of what you want. then if you run into problems with certain things.. you come to flashkit
    the flashes in the links are just animated buttons, there should be tons of tutorials for that, and it is a good thing to learn .. makes sites look reallly good if you use em right.

before you start building a site you should try to learn as many little techniques as you can .. ...like animated buttons... .....and so on.
    remember , flash is not impossible, even for biginners, you just gotta be creative

-justme

See I think that's whats the problem...most people just think it's not that hard. I just don't see, did he make most of those lines and boxes in flash or what? How does he get all of that quick blink in all of the boxes and all the pulsing mouse overs and all that stuff...I just don't get it.

"Don't worry, you didn't see me"

Originally posted by Xrider
    See I think that's whats the problem...most people just think it's not that hard. I just don't see, did he make most of those lines and boxes in flash or what? How does he get all of that quick blink in all of the boxes and all the pulsing mouse overs and all that stuff...I just don't get it.

Before you try ANY of that, you need to pratice in Flash. Trying to create that will only make you suck at Flash and discourage you. Learn Flash, don't try to create mster sites before you know the basics. And if you can't tell how to create that, you don't know the basics.

Too right Justme. Creativity. And knowing what you want to do before putting pen to paper (excuse the expression). Pen on paper is actually a great way to start. Whether you're looking to develop a whole site in flash or just want some flash anim within an HTML-based site (such as a logo, ad or presentation), draw it out on paper first. Get that final idea in your head, know exactly how you want it to function and what it will portray.

With that idea, work through it; if need be, frame-by-frame. You'll pick the tricks up along the way. And develop your idea as you go.

To answer a question like yours requires too much. I doubt anyone around here would sit here a post a reply to how they made that site, in detail that is.

Like I say, work through designing & developing your own. When you come up with questions, post back on this thread and I'll help you where and when I can.

;-)

That IS a nice site!

Can anyone i.d. the fonts that are being used? I really like that super-square one! Also, the body copy is nice and legible. I could use 'em both!

I hate how my fonts look when I publish my swfs...antialiased and all. Is there a way to alleviate that? Did this person NOT antialias their fonts or something?

Thanks!

Not sure about the font. Check out http://www.1001fonts.com & http://www.fontfiles.com .

i guess thats hooge, i have a couple of them,
    leave ur email id here or mail me at
    love_rex@yahoo.com,
    ill mail them to u!
    rex

btw, xrider, the site is beautiful - i agree, but whats so tough here, most of it is motion tween and the same instance being called everytime,but if ur a newbie then i guess ur just unaware of what flash can do, what i would suggest is u visit sites like, bestflashsites.de - some of the best looking sites are featured here!
    ask for help here or anyother forum, (i suggest here -coz i get most of them here), even if u wanna make a simple blinking button, try the tutorials, both flashkit as well as the tuts provided with the help feature in Flash (F1) or the lessons, they help u learn most of the basic things,

what u do is create one button like he did, with all mouse over and other stuffs, call them on stage for more than once or as many as u need, make another layer and insert text over it,
    but let me tell u , that most of the work goes unseen, or unnoticed, like actionscripting, things that look simple on a browser would have taken days to code them,
    lets say for eg; loading an external txt file or follow a mouse, though there have been innumerable request for asking how to do them, and tons of suggestions of how to do them, still ppl do keep asking, as to how to do them? try making an advanced search before u post, i am sure ull find ur answers hidden in one among them, if not post a new one, we can learn too!

i know it must have taken long to create a site like this, if it is an orignal idea, which it is, i am sure.
    here comes ur creativity, ull need some more time to get adjusted to flash, keep learning and im sure someday ull find it easy and be a master,

rex

resolved I understand what you feel...

I understand what you feel when you look at really good flash sites. I am using flash for about 8 months and I learned a lot of things by doing one simple thing: making my copy of really good looking website. I used http://www.2advanced.com to teach myself. I made almost exact copy of it, but I never published it. While building it I learned pretty much what I know now. You should also learn flash actionscript from flash help. If you need any other help I can teach you some tricks. E-mail - yongster_xsl@hotmail.com