A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do I need to add anything for Netscape?

I've put flash on our site using 3dfa, but I've had a complaint that a user with Netscape can't view the flash items. He has flash installed and can view flash on other sites.

I put the HTML from the page that resulted from the export of the movies. Do I need to add anything to the HTML in order to be viewed by Netscape?

I don't use netscape alot, but you shouldn't have to.

He's probably got an older flash plug-in, most likely 4. You might want to put some html at the bottom of the page that says something to the effect of "This page requires a Flash plug-in of 5 or higher, if nothing loads in the browser please click here", with a link to MacroMedias plug-in page.

-Jason

I was having the same problem. I installed the 6.0 Flash plugin, and even upgraded to version 6 of Netscape.

Netscape was still not showing the movies, even though I could browse the Wildform site and see all the movies

So I thought it might be the code that calls the movie.

I had noticed that the HTML generator is flaky. At the bottom each gen'd page there would be some screwy HTML tags or even some ASCII tags.

For example, an extra <BODY> command at the end or a *^$ildform type of blip

Once I looked at the code for calling the movie, I quickly spotted what was causing the problem.

One of the tags was incomplete.

<PARAM name="quality" value="

is all it had, and then it went on to the embed tag.

Netscape is VERY unforgiving about not finishing your tags with an end >, as well as not finishing your quotes...a double whammy.

Explorer will overlook this, but you may not get the layout you are expecting.

The correct tag would something like this

<PARAM name="quality" value="high">

though you could just do this:

<PARAM name="quality" value="">

Now, it might not be this PARAM that has been truncated..just look at all the tags and make sure there are no truncations on any of them.

Basically it comes down to the HTML generator not dotting all its i's

Lots of people use a GUI editor to edit HTML, so if you don't have one available, ur not gonna spot this, so use Notepad or even the Netscape text editor to see the code

Hope this helps!

Bryan Ockert
    ChaosInAustin.com
    bryan@chaosinaustin.com

Web creation

If you plan on building website you MUST have at least the latest copy of IE and Netscape to test with. I do! really you should test with several version and include the Opra brwoser as well. I've never had any problems with my flash showing in netscape 6+. 3dfa seems to make a fine html template for me. The only thing I've seen is there are some issues when trying to access FSCOMMAND via javascript in the browser.

4crafts give me the URL and I'll check it with Netscape 6.2

the error on your page

Originally posted by 4crafts
    I've put flash on our site using 3dfa, but I've had a complaint that a user with Netscape can't view the flash items. He has flash installed and can view flash on other sites.

I put the HTML from the page that resulted from the export of the movies. Do I need to add anything to the HTML in order to be viewed by Netscape?
    I looked at you site here's the problem.
    In your <object> you point to:
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.palmcroft.com/images/movie_51.swf">

in you imbed you point to:
    <embed src="movie_51.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"

Should be
    <embed src="/images/movie_51.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"

[/code]

Thanks, Bret--that was it. IE had no problem with it (either way), but NS wouldn't load the movies. They're working now.

yep

Originally posted by 4crafts
    Thanks, Bret--that was it. IE had no problem with it (either way), but NS wouldn't load the movies. They're working now.
    Yep EI gets it from the <object> tags and NS gets it from the <embed> tags....