A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real estate Site

Big Boi

Cow Icon

Can somebody post some links, for some real-estate sites in FLASH??

Not saying they're good, but here's a few for you:

http://realestatedesigners.com/index...s&pid=3&uphit=
    http://www.studio1webdesign.com/real_estate1.html
    http://santacruzhomes-re.com/schomes.html
    http://www.virgiladamsrealestate.com/IndexFlash.html
    http://www.kapolei.com/ecity.html

Hope it helps. Know any suggestions for my post:
    "beverage sites wanted"

Found with Google using search terms "real estate flash"

Why, oh why, would you use Flash for a real estate agent?

Sell a solution, not the technology.

Big Boi
    hmmm err, becuase clients want that?!
    They want to impress their rich buyers with something??
    Do not worry, flash can be used very good for this sort of bussines.

Originally posted by Markosef
    hmmm err, becuase clients want that?!
    They want to impress their rich buyers with something??
    Do not worry, flash can be used very good for this sort of bussines.
    I would always worry about a client saying "I want Flash". So much better to start from what business goal they hope to achive, and work back from that.

Like I said, sell the solution not the technology. I could be convinced if the business case was solid, but I find it hard to think of any situation where Flash would be the best tool for most real estate purposes.

Example: look at http://www.mcgrath.com.au If not the best, certainly one of the best real estate sites on the web, and not a hint of Flash. And is there Flash feature you would add? I don't really think so myself, could probably think of a dozen other non-Flash features before hand.

So the point is only to think of what the final goal is before you start throwing Flash solutions around - and that's what I worry about. We want quality Flash, when it's most appropriate, not quantity that no one values much.

Cheers
    Dave

<mod edit - corrected url>

[Edited by aversion on 04-29-2002 at 10:30 AM]

i have to agree with davo.

it really depends how you conduct business i suppose but i would talk to him about whatis the best medium for his business, and in this case i really can't see how flash is going to be best for this.

real estate sites have to be updated daily at the very least so you're looking at building an interface using php, asp, etc to allow them to upload new properties and images/movies or edit existing records. Of course you would have to do the same thing with html but it would be a lot easier (for me at least!). How are you planning on allowing him to do his? What backend techologies are you going to use? You should definitely use xml for content like this as well.

the biggest problem i would have with using flash for this is allowing browsing users to bookmark and share links to properties. I know from experience of working with this kind of site that people will want to be able to send a direct link for a property to a friend/partner for them to check out as well. How will you implement this?

something like this would be possible in flash mx with all it's new features, but it's pretty early in the game to be using mx for something like this, unless you're not looking at bringing it out for a few months when there's better adoption of the plugin....

maybe you have great expertise in flash and backed stuff, i don't know, but you will have to be!! I think a great site could be made in flash and if it is it would be one of the best examples of flash and commerce out there, good luck!!

Big Boi
    I partialy agree with you, but i can not say to customer that i wont give him flash if he wants to, this customer is well into computers and he knows what he wants, he wants a lot in fact. Well i was going for some solution, like flash intro and nicely designed pages in ASP, something like that.

check this links....

http://www.eurodom-ck.com

this is my work for this sort of bussines, it is completly in flash, so it can be done, and i might add that it isnt such a bad solution. The problem is maintaning the site, but that is another issue. The thing is that clients want flash sites because they aim at rich forign customers so they want to impress them. So that is the whole deal with that, i will certanly suggest what i think is the best for this thing and i dont think flsh is, it is Databases and maybe flash intro if they want. But my experience is that customers just dont listen to you, in fact some find it boring that i suggest this and that, i think they are stupid but i cannot argue with them because i need the job.

Big Boi
    All what you said here is correct, the change of that is the biggest problem and it could not be done in flash 5, flash XM maybe but the problem is it is too early for that i agree. So i am goning for flash intro+asp pages combo, think this is the best so far. Also think that the ultimate solution would be flash intro+site with ASP but i think it would be too hard to do it and i couldnt get the money i deserve for that work.

Originally posted by aversion
    i have to agree with davo.

it really depends how you conduct business i suppose but i would talk to him about whatis the best medium for his business, and in this case i really can't see how flash is going to be best for this.

real estate sites have to be updated daily at the very least so you're looking at building an interface using php, asp, etc to allow them to upload new properties and images/movies or edit existing records. Of course you would have to do the same thing with html but it would be a lot easier (for me at least!). How are you planning on allowing him to do his? What backend techologies are you going to use? You should definitely use xml for content like this as well.

the biggest problem i would have with using flash for this is allowing browsing users to bookmark and share links to properties. I know from experience of working with this kind of site that people will want to be able to send a direct link for a property to a friend/partner for them to check out as well. How will you implement this?

something like this would be possible in flash mx with all it's new features, but it's pretty early in the game to be using mx for something like this, unless you're not looking at bringing it out for a few months when there's better adoption of the plugin....

maybe you have great expertise in flash and backed stuff, i don't know, but you will have to be!! I think a great site could be made in flash and if it is it would be one of the best examples of flash and commerce out there, good luck!!

check this links....

http://www.eurodom-ck.com

this is my work for this sort of bussines, it is completly in flash, so it can be done, and i might add that it isnt such a bad solution.
    Please don't take this personally at all - this is all about opinions on the best solution for a certain job - but I think this example shows the main reason Flash does not work.

- It took ages for me to get to the actual property (that Flash intro when searching for property is VERY annoying)
    - I want to be able to specify location, price and property features when selecting a property, not select from a bunch of pretty pictures
    - I cannot bookmark the page to see again or forward to someone else

In my opinion this site is a very good example of why Flash should not be used for this purpose. I'm not knocking your Flash expertise or anything, just the purpose it's used for - and it's wrong.

"I partialy agree with you, but i can not say to customer that i wont give him flash if he wants to, this customer is well into computers and he knows what he wants, he wants a lot in fact. Well i was going for some solution, like flash intro and nicely designed pages in ASP, something like that."

--> Actually, part of being a good Flash developer and business person is knowing how to get down to what the client needs, and then explaining to them IN DETAIL what the best soluton is, and why. When you explain it in business terms a business man will understand. It is not always easy, no, but it will help their business in the long term if they have the right presence on the web - and that's the bottom line.

You can not tell me that ANY person searching for property, whether they're Joe Bloggs next door or a Saudi prince, would find http://www.eurodom-ck.com better to use than http://www.mcgrath.com.au?

Sometimes the client does have to be educated a little. You just have to know the right way to do it, not always easy...

... especially when a client "knows a little". As they say, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and here's a prime example of it.

The truth is, if your client "is well into computers and he knows what he wants", well, he actually has no idea. How you show that to him is the hard part.

Cheers
    Dave

no real estate site needs an intro.

client relations is a skill like any other, this guy is hiring you because you're the web expert, you should be able to convince him what's best.

I totally agree with aversion and Davo. I couldn't have said it or explained it better.

Big Boi
    I cannot say that i do not agree with you. Because i do.
    Here is anotehr example of my real-estate site
    http://www.doksa-nekretnine.com
    this one is in ASP with some flash effects here and there.
    The thing is, my client saw this pages, and he doesnt want his like that, he saw some london real estate firm, but he cannot remeber the name a while ago, which was in flash, all shiny and full of effects site, and he likes that and wants that.
    http://www.mcgrath.com.au is great, it has nice design and good beckend, but I am almost 99% sure that this client wouldnt like that site. He doesnt want that. He wants beckend from this site and looks from lets say my eurodom site(even better that that). That is what he wants. How could i reach him?? what could i say, he has offers from some other firms as well and they said that they will do that for him, well i dont know exactly what will they do, but i am affraid if i say that this isnt a good solution, and other say it can be done a do it for him, he will go to them and i will lose the job. The problem is that lots of this directors in firms think they know all about everything. I do agree with you, but also have to say it isnt always smart to do that if you want money, i had experince where i tried to convince some people that what they are doing is wrong and tries to explain what is best for them and i didnt got the job, my partner got it who didnt say one fu..ing word, and they took him to be webmaster. You know why?? because they can easily manipulate him and he will just say yes for every stupid idea they have, of course their project will fail. So what can I do.
    I say take the money and run, when they want to listen to some good suggestion they will pay again for site and ideas. Maybe not to me though :-)

I would really like to reach to them, whell hell i wil try to show this .au site to them and see what they say. I would be happy if they want some design and solution like that.

real estate sites

take a look at http://www.gocestateagents.com (no flash)
    and http://www.swbt9.com (flash)

Big Boi
    I studied more this mcgrath site, i have to 100% agree with you, and i will try to make this kind of a solution to them.
    If you have some guidlines how to convince them to use this pleas write because i will soon have to talk to them.

The way to present anything to any client is look at it from their side: what do they want for their business?

Forget Flash for a moment - that's just one possible TECHNOLOGY SOLUTION to what they want, and explain that to them.

So, what they really want, in a business solution, you should list:

eg.
    - an attractive site that is easy to use for a visitor
    - able to add new listings easily - saves them money over time
    - user able to find relevant listings very easily
    - user able to go back to a listing that they have seen before
    - user able to see 3D virtual tour of property
    ...etc... etc

You know your client, you should know what they want (again, forgeting the technology).

Then, and only then, you describe to them how a certain technology delivers all they want, where as (for example) Flash will only deliver one thing they want, the "sexy" look (although looking at some of those other real estate sites that's open for opinion).

Basically, look at it first and foremost as a business problem, that requires certain deliverables, THEN look at and outline the best technology to use and why.

If it's looked at this way, and you present all your findings to the client in the right way, then it should become apparant to your client that Flash is not the right solution at all.

It ain't always easy mate, but good luck.

Cheers
    Dave

Big Boi
    thanx dave
    if i get this job(think i will know by the end of the week)
    I really have to get most of the thanx to you :-))
    I will let you know the result. :-)

Christopher Simmons
    I partialy agree with you, but i can not say to customer that i wont give him flash if he wants to, this customer is well into computers and he knows what he wants, he wants a lot in fact. Well i was going for some solution, like flash intro and nicely designed pages in ASP, something like that...
    Actually, you CAN say no to your client — it's called preserving the integrity of your profession. The idea is to give your client what he NEEDS, not necessarily what he thinks he WANTS. When clients say "I want flash" or I want this bigger, or bolder or whatever, you have to listen to what they are really saying — usually they are saying "I want this to be more dynamic" or "I want this to be more important." Clients aren't designers (that's why they hire us) and because they aren't designers they don't always have the visual vocabulary to express themselves. It's up to you to problem solve and get to the core of what they are asking.

Many times I have told clients that what they are asking for is not the appropriate solution. You'll quickly find that clients respect that — if for no other reason than it means they are getting their money's worth.

RIDER
    OK, I asked myself the same question...does my client really need Flash?
    Conclusion...If it functions, yes!
    It's not all in Flash, I only used it where needed.

It's now a couple of years old but they still love it and it sells well.

http://www.haus-grund.de

I'm now working on it's partner company, but they are targetting a different crowd, therefore no Flash
    till they see the result, but later, all out baby with MX!

Originally posted by coolmilo

It's now a couple of years old but they still love it and it sells well.

http://www.haus-grund.de
    I had to click 5 times to get through to what seemed like property information (sorry, I can't read German (is it? Excuse my naivity), and there seemed to be no choice for type of property, or number of rooms..etc. In my mind, that's not the best solution for the job.

Again, my opinion but it's what I'd advise a client.

Cheers
    Dave

also basic problems remain with that site, one of the biggest is that there's no way to bookmark pages, something i think is essential for a property site.

and why an intro?