A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The all new eMac 17" (Not a joke)

resolved

It was really time for a 17" iMac. What do you think? I think it's a graet machine.

http://www.apple.com/education/emac/

Fredi

toot toot
    Perfect for the Education market - guess they were worried about kids swinging around on the new iMac.

Apple must love the smell of money...fortunately they love the smell of good design too!

There's also a new widescreen Titanium Bowerbook:

What a display for a notebook.

Fredi

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    I want one of the new G4 powerbook's but have you seen the price, I think I'll have to settle for the lowest priced one. I doubt I'll notice that much difference between them, although I may up the memory slightly as I want to do a lot of video editing...

Originally posted by Subway

It was really time for a 17" iMac. What do you think? I think it's a graet machine.

http://www.apple.com/education/emac/

Fredi
    It is quite a lovely little box.
    Apple definately knows which side their bread is buttered on - one of their biggest markets has to be education, and building an inexpensive, stable, and accessible machine specifically for that market is a great move.

Fredi
    [drooling] ....watching dvds on that [/drooling]

ahhhhh .....Ill miss my G4 !!

A

My school converted from Macs to Dells 2 - 3 years ago. All of our old Macs are in our crappy library now. But that machine does look good for educational purpouses.

ya but how much is that mac i wot can a mac do that a pc cant????
    Jay

Originally posted by nokiaboy40
    ya but how much is that mac i wot can a mac do that a pc cant????
    huh!?

The eMac is about $1250. It's a computer/tool like any other computer. it can do what the user is able to think of.

They are even cheeper than that I think. Apple tends to fiddle with prices a bit.

Macs/Prices and Why..

The Imac Graphire is only $799 (Full Price, educational price is lower) and that includes the whole shabang- Monitor, CPU, Drives, Keyboard, Mouse, OSX and OS 9, speakers, Modem, Firewire, and USB. The user only needs to plug in the IMac or Emac and connect it to the phone line. The Imac Snow is $999 but includes a DVD Burner. The newest IMacs fit on a desktop and are about the size of a small desklamp.

The Emac looks to be more like an old IMac Graphire with a G4 proccesor and a 17" monitor rather than the 15" monitor. It is made out of a durable plastic and is one self contained unit (HD and Monitor is attached), making inventoring the machine easier. The EMac is priced lower than a new Dell comparably decked out. The IMac Graphire is even more afordable and is considerably cheaper than a computer made with quality parts.

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    Actually it seems pretty powerful, with a 800MHz G4 processor, and no i'm not going to get into the PC Mac speed debate, so don't even try it.

hmmmm
    i dont understand why are they bringing this out now demand for an iMac with a proper screen was years ago, shame they only put a 17" on it, it should have been a 19", thats more useful to designers, hell i would have bought 2 otherwise.

i might see if i can get one anyway, i prefer the CRT over the LCD
    [Edited by DeeDesigns on 04-30-2002 at 10:10 AM]

Originally posted by DeeDesigns
    shame they only put a 17" on it, it should have been a 19", thats more useful to designers,
    It's for educational use and not for designers. For professional designing I would buy a G4 tower with two 19" or 21" monitors or with the 22" Cinema display conected to it.

Fredi

hmmmm
    all the the Mac's in the art&design labs have 19" monitors and so do all the PC's where i do my MSc.

it would be more useful if this eMac had 19" in my opinion, and it could gain extra sales that apple need

i'd know quite a few people that would buy one if the screen size was bigger.

I for my studio, i prefer to have a dedicated box for for everything, one audio, dv, gfx & print & a server.

Fredi
    if i tape a piece of cardboard over the top 2 inches of my laptop screen it will be about the same... now i just need to paint it silver

well not showing of or any think but i do my designer work on my 50" plasma screen :P but i also use it to watch tv on. Jay

well not showing of or any think but i do my designer work on my 50" plasma screen :P but i also use it to watch tv on. Jay
    pah, i can use our digital projector to create a high res 8 foot by 6 foot screen

Lucky Guys ... tose have it <drool> <sigh>

Originally posted by aversion
    pah, i can use our digital projector to create a high res 8 foot by 6 foot screen

... and I have a personal slave that draws anything on screen to a 100*100 meter wall. Pretty impressive, but a little bit slow ... about 0.00000000000000000000000001 MhZ

Fredi

toot toot
    when designing on a mac I enter a deep transcendental trance that enables me to visualise my deisgns to a size that is about 1.25mm short of infinity. Screens? Where we're going we don't need screens!