A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: convex mask?

To all flash experts out there. Does anyone know how to create a convex mask (much like that on a magnifying glass) but to use it like that which is found in phong.com.

Thanks in advance for the help.

flashing since v3
    i suppose you could make a mask that is inversly zoomed to the length of the radius...

the longer the distance... the smaller the zoom

stuff like that....

i bet i could make one just by thinking about it, but im busy right now, sorry

Thanks for the response but I won't move the mask...The mask will be static while a movie clip is playing behind it. Check phong.com menu to get an idea on what I'm trying to say...

Maya * ActionScript Addict DangerAhead's Avatar
    you mean like this?

[swf width="240" height="137" background="#000000"]http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Effects/Masking/Magnifyi-Philipp_-1799/Magnifyi-Philipp_-1799.swf
    [/swf]

go to this movie in Flashkit.

search for "zoom"

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Effec...99/index.shtml

Not exactly. I mean like this....

http://www.phong.com/tutorials/

check out the left interface menu...

still in the dark

I'm still in the dark with this....help!!!

still in the dark

I'm still in the dark with this....help!!!

Re: still in the dark

There is no "convex mask" in Flash;

You can do as offdahook suggested, making multiple ring mask and pile them up, so you got a convex effect. However, if we zoom-in closely, we will see that these rings are not perfect. It is like a bitmap. There are two open source movie in Flash Kit movie, if we search about "lens";

I studied the web page you talked about. That is not a convex mask; It is not a convex mask on a scrolling background. It is purely an animation of multiple keyframes. Each keyframe has its graph, not tween;

I think this web site movie is very similar to a Flash Kit movie about "rotating globe".

However, the graph is a vector graph.

That web is a tutorial about photoshop. But, if we do sphere effect by photoshop, that will be a bitmap graph. I dont know how that spheric graph is generated. Maybe it was created with swift 3D and then imported to Flash.

the easiest way (and probably how this site was done) is to create the entire effect in 3d (phong uses max with swift 3d i believe). Now if you go this route, you will have to render to series of images, then import them into flash one by one, reduce the file size anyway you can becuae neither Swift nor Amorphium support materials on objects. So here is how i would do this.
    Make an image of the text i want. Apply it to a sphere in max, render it as a series of either .png or .jpg, import it into flash break apart the bitmaps and trim out all the stiff i dont need or want. If you put this inside a movie clip, it will loop seemlessly.
    The other option you have is to put all the text in flash, break it apart so it is a fill, then tweak the curve all by hand.

Maya * ActionScript Addict DangerAhead's Avatar

After Effects 5.0+ will create that effect

that effect can be created in AfterEffects, then exported as a swf.