dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fading a blur in photoshop

hi
    what i want to do to my image is add a blur to one half and fade that blur into the other half, at the moment i make a selection on the left side of my image and add a blur to that section, but now i want to actually fade (or blend)that blue into the righ side of the image so i dont have such an abrupt transition from blue part of image to normal part. can anyone help me?

thanks

richard

sorry that should say blur not blue.

Just Feather your selction out. The number of pixels would depend on the image dimensions. The more pixels you feather the smoother the blend.

Select-Feather or Crtl Alt D

thanks, works a treat

There is another method that gives you more control over where the faded areas are. Add a mask channel to the blur, fill the mask with a gradient.

Regards,
    Alan

whats a mask channel? i know masking, where you go into quick mask mode and then click the gradient button and fade out an image, but i dont quite get what u mean in this case?

thanks

richard

I have Photoshop 6 so I can't speak for other versions. However, this is what I mean:

1. In the layers palette click on your blur layer to select it.
    2. On the main menu bar select "Layers->addLayerMask->revealAll" this wll add a mask channel to your layer. A shortcut is to click on the dotted circle icon at the bottom of the layers palette.
    3. Look at the blur layer in the layers palette, you will see another box to the right, this is the mask chanel. To edit the mask channel click on it's box. You can then paint directly on the mask or fill the mask with patterns, gradients or whatever you want.

Hope this helps,
    Alan