A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 94.9% there

What do you all think of my skills?
    What do you all think of this site?
    What would you do different on this site?
    How would you make this better?

http://www.trademarkad.com/reconstruction

Mr Snowman
    A drinking village with a fishing problem
    What do you all think of my skills? - Advanced
    What do you all think of this site? I like it, a lot of white, but kinda works
    What would you do different on this site? Add more interest
    How would you make this better? See above

Please return the favor
    http://www.trademarkad.com/reconstruction

theswedishtiger, I think you posted the wrong link when asking to have the favor returned.

As for the flashfrog:

What do you all think of my skills? Hard to say. Obviously, you know what you are doing, but I would like to see more of your work, or a revised edition of this site.

What do you all think of this site? I like the site. I agree, a lot of white, but I think you should do something about it.

What would you do different on this site? I would put the site into some sort of a design. Right now, it just seems to be floating in a sea of white on the page. It just looks more professional and cleaner to have the site fit into a design layout. Look at my most recent, for example. http://www.globescope.com/indonesiaemb

How would you make this better? See above. Questions 3 and 4 are really the same.

You are on the right track. Good work!

-G

I personally like the white...makes it clean and right to the point. Maybe a bit too simple though. I would probably confine your logo and footer to the dimensions of your movie though instead of letting them grow out with the window.

doppelganger
    Originally posted by flashfrog
    What do you all think of my skills?
    What do you all think of this site?
    What would you do different on this site?
    How would you make this better?

I think your website is well layed out and very streamlined. Everything runs really fast without unneeded animations, which is rare these days. Nice site. I don't know if I would add anything, because you have a very nice minimalistic quality set up as it is. It would be a pity to ruin that.

What do you all think of my skills? :
    Very basic flash skill from what I can see here... as for design skills I couldent say because there isnt much to be seen there....

What do you all think of this site? :
    You need to make a company image for yourself that will stand out from the others... With that said your logo is barely visible and with a site that really has no design on the initial screen, you should make the logo a little more evident, or even the main focus.

What would you do different on this site? / How would you make this better? :
    I would do a redesign on this one... your trying to sell yourself and this dosent pull it off.

Good luck

well i asked for it

I was inspired by miniml.com - one of my favorite sites (till they began to charge for their cool fonts that is)

I know my actionscript skills are pretty weak, and thats something I'll need to improve if I plan to move up in this biz.

My main goal was to present the content in as less distracting and easy accessable way as possible - while still looking sophisticated. The site will be lauched as part of a series of collateral material - including a cd. All utilized the same icons and color scheme and fonts while delibately achieving a different feel and design - thus the need for a "generic" website. The content will be updated frequently also.

gdstudios - nice site. Some more of mine are on this site. Check em out if you have the time. - or check out emarkweb.com

Thanks for all your thoughts

just my oppinion but I don't like having to guess what buttons do. I know there are alot of sites with a minimalistic approach. However, do you think your users would appreciate having to roll over every button to find out what it does? or be able to identify their options at a glance?

Regards,
    Alan

I know your heart's in the right place but one of the statements mentions "honor God" and that may turn off some potential clients especially if your goal is to secure as much non-biased commercial revenue as possible. On the other hand maybe the Big Guy's just looking for a site to bless and it could be yours. Anyway, food for thought.

Hi there,

well i looked and i thought - yep why not keep things simple! - absolutely no download time at all - i have got ADSL but did not notice a preloader - presume there was one???!!!!

anyway the only slight tiny criticism i would make is the text - if i cant get my text crisp within my flash projects then it buggs me for the rest of time

If the text is static which it looks like it is then i would suggest using device fonts and check this on the text panel.

Alternatively, and this is what i always do, load the content into a dynamic text field from a text file this way you ALWAYS get crisp text

anyway could i ask you to comment on my post and my site?

thanks in advance - check the portfolio section

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=306878

gilesb

thanks for the thoughts

The mission statement is the Boss's - I have no say in that. I do agree that it can turn off some clients, especially large ones with multicultural influencers. But unfortunitly we are in a fairly small town in northwest Indiana (very republican)and most of our clients are rich white business owners, sad but tru.

Is there a way to get the non-anitaliased text in flash without using device fonts? I have to use our corporate font for consistancy. I would love to have the user download the font and have it install on their system, but I guess we cant have everything.

The only way I'm aware of to get crisp text in Flash without using device fonts is to use pixel fonts. However you did say that you must use your corporate font. Therefore the only sussestion I can offer is to do the same as you would with HTML, turn the text into a bitmap. However this will add significantly to the file size and you must remember to turn "allow smoothing" off for that bitmap.

Regards,
    Alan

shockwave does it

Doesn't director let you import fonts? Flash should have that option too. Bitmaps will defeat the whole purpose I started out with on this site. So it looks like blurry text it is.

i would make sure the popups fit the content (the logo page poped up huge and seemed to only be a few hundred pixels by a few hundred pixels.

I would move the logo down JUST A BIT from the corner...

The site has NO D/L time, which is great. I'm on 56K, and no-wait was a welcome change (and a huge improvement from the current site you have.

About the icons: I wonder if a short animated runthrough of the nouseover texts would give the audience a bit more comfort in navigation. Then the icons are still there, and they will know exactly what they mean...

Just a thought....