A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MSN's sneakiness with hotmail

The Minister of No Crap

Well, I spent about thirty minutes clearing out my Hotmail account last night. I felt pretty good that I kept myself under the 2 MB limit for sure.

Today, I received a message from MSN saying:

We are writing to let you know that your account is approaching its 2 megabyte (MB) size limit. Here's what you can do:

1. Increase your storage limit

2. Reduce the storage you use
    This couldn't be possible, because I only had three emails in my inbox and none of them had attachments. I went to check my "Storage Usage" under the "Manage Folders" button and saw the sneakiness of it all - they were including my sent items in the equation.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/

that's microsoft for ya, scot

...on the second thought, i think everybody does that...just delete all the stuff in your sent folder, thats all......

well, your allowed 2meg so i suppose it doesn't matter whether its sent items, inbox or a bespoke folder.

The Minister of No Crap

Yeah, I deleted them. But would the average user know to do that?

-scott

I like to accuse Microsoft of sneaky, deceptive, and conspiratorial practices as much as the next guy, but I just can't do it this time.

Virtually everyplace that gives you a mailbox works the same way. Your in-bound e-mail, your sent items, any web pages, and all your other folders are all counted against one total allotment of space. It's a very, very common arrangement.

Now, if we want to accuse Microsoft of secretly switching the municipal flouridation compounds with a mutant strain of syphillis in an effort to dull government regulators' thinking abilities, sign me up!