A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do you charge to build a website?

Originally posted by switchTone
    I knew those business classes would pay off

It's a violation of US Antitrust laws. I *believe* the same thing applies in the EU. I've not done much study on that, so I'm not totally sure. Anyhow, you can find Antitrust information on the DOJ's site at http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/

This is taken from the HTML Writers Guild's site -
    http://www.hwg.org/resources/faqs/priceFAQ.html

Is it illegal to discuss pricing?

The short answer: YES (at least in the U.S. where many of our members are).

The U.S. law specifically makes discussion of pricing between competitors (all or some) a federal offense. According to either Marshall Kragen or Lewis Rose (both practicing lawyers), several brokers in DC were successfully prosecuted for simply discussing an increase of fees at a dinner meeting.

When, where, or how doesn't matter. Any discussion of pricing by a group of people within the same industry is illegal in the U.S. The feds call it price fixing.
    Interesting. I'm not going to sweat it.

im 18 and charge $90 an hour....

however when i was 16, i did a site for $300... there's some relevant info for ya...

you'll be amazed how quickly your experience will pay off... charge low, the addition to your portfolio and experience will make up for any feeling that you should be getting payed more...

it's all about being able to say "i've done this, and this and this..." especially once your portfolio gets big and well rounded enough to be able to provide an example of something you've done that your new prospective is looking for...

that's the point you start reeping benefits = )

good luck... its tough being young sometimes

Originally posted by TrIzKuT
    make it hard to edit, and then charge the place for updates
    funny, but stay away from that, haha = )

the key is, regardless of what you are getting paid (especially when you are starting) you have to do everything possible to go above and beyond...

this means when you go to the office for a meeting about the site you help him set up his e-mail, or you provide consultation on what he should do with his office network... even though you're not getting paid for this service... you end up making so much more money in the long run due to the relationship built.

the key is to make your client feel like he can call you any time for any reason to ask any stupid question... and also do everything you can to make the site you're creating for him as self sufficient as possible... if you do this for your client, he'll appreciate it so much more and will be much more willing to dump more bucks in the future because he has your trust...

im just now getting out of the stage where doing that extra stuff is more then just a pain in the ass... over the past couple months the benefits have been rediculous...

do the site, make a little money... treat the client like he's paying eleventy million = )

Angry

Originally posted by longy
    Dont mean to be rude but really hate these questions, its like how long is a piece of string?
    Thats easy, twice the distance from the middle to one end.

E.

Originally posted by evan224
    Originally posted by longy
    Dont mean to be rude but really hate these questions, its like how long is a piece of string?
    Thats easy, twice the distance from the middle to one end.

E.

thanks evan all the questions in life have finally been answered,

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by chrisd9
    the key is to make your client feel like he can call you any time for any reason to ask any stupid question... and also do everything you can to make the site you're creating for him as self sufficient as possible... if you do this for your client, he'll appreciate it so much more and will be much more willing to dump more bucks in the future because he has your trust...

im just now getting out of the stage where doing that extra stuff is more then just a pain in the ass... over the past couple months the benefits have been rediculous...

do the site, make a little money... treat the client like he's paying eleventy million = )
    These clients are far and few between though. There are plenty of clients that will run all over you if you let them call you any time for any stupid thing.

You see, I have this thing called a wife and she gets a little upset when a client calls me at 3:00 AM to ask if he should buy a Celleron or Pentium computer. Although there may be some clients that will pay you tons of money for being able to do this, most of them will just take advantage of you.

Boundries need to be set up or you'll lose your mind (and your wife).

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/

that's true... and now im beginnning to see this and am beginning to get away from that...

by the way scott... thanks for all the info you provide either in posts or from your site

i guees that my assumption was that you're 16 and just doin it for fun anyway = ).... it definitely does pay off and you'll have the ones that make it seem like it's not worth it... but after a while you can begin to be more reserved... with an established reputation of being a good guy

another quote ;-)

I just asked someone 6000 euro's (1 euro = 0.9 dollars) for a flash website with an asp on-line shop. He is a beer-wholeseller and the intended public is shops, bars, breweries, and fellow companies. He has a clear picture in his mind of what it should look like and I have to create it. He'll also provide all the data, pictures, logo's etc and he wants it to look professional.

Is this price reasonable or am I too greedy?

that price sounds more then fair

Re: another quote ;-)

Originally posted by Uncle_sammy
    I just asked someone 6000 euro's (1 euro = 0.9 dollars) for a flash website with an asp on-line shop.
    So that would be about $650 US?
    That seems low to me for a flash site w/ asp & shopping cart. But then, what do I know
    Right at this moment, as far as I can tell, it seems to be anything goes as far as what people are willing to pay for IT work, especially freelance stuff.
    There also seems to be a plethora of people willing to do stuff for pennies (literally, when you add up the time involved we're talking less than minimum wage - check the thread from a couple of weeks ago about rentacoder.com).
    So, a better question, and one I've started asking myself about freelance jobs, is: can you afford to do the project for that price? is it worth it to you in terms of the money you would make and any benefits you might get like referrals, resume-building, contacts, etc.
    b

Re: Re: another quote ;-)

Originally posted by beeready
    Originally posted by Uncle_sammy
    I just asked someone 6000 euro's (1 euro = 0.9 dollars) for a flash website with an asp on-line shop.
    So that would be about $650 US?
    1 euro = 0.9 dollars means $6000 euro's would be around $5400 dollars.

lol yea good call... btw you could probably still charge a little more if you're good and it's a quality client

Hmmm, those all important zeros
    my bad, it is still a valid point though
    b

finky fonk
    my pricing strategy - think of a number that makes your toes curl, then times it by three.