A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: swift 3d cant recognise a hollow circle?

hi
    im having trouble importing a hollow circle into swift 3d, when i import it, it is no longer hollow, swift 3d fills the entire circle in, how can i prevent this from happening?

also when i have a say a hollow circle and a shape inside like a hexagon, and i go to import it, swift 3d cant handle it and closes. grrrrrrrrrrrr so annoying!

thanks anyone

richard

you mean like this:

[swf width="400" height="300" background="#FFFFFF"]http://www.fukawlyawl.net/scooby/hex_boolean_circle1.swf[/swf]

the source files (*.ai - Illustrator 7.0, *.t3d - Swift3D 2.0, and *.swf - Flash 5.0) are located here.

anyway, all I did was trimmed the hex from the circle. then deleted the hex - otherwise, it will still be a solid disk. if you are using Illustrator, make sure that you are using compound paths.

hope that helps

ok im actually using fireworks, ive know how to trim in FW, do u know how?

thanks

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    What other s/w do you have? It sounds like fireworks is giving you probs.
    When you say it fills the entire circle in, ungroup the objects and then delete the centre fill. ( just grab the outer edge of the object and move it..the centre fill will remain in place and then you can delete it.

[Edited by NitroCharged on 05-08-2002 at 09:46 AM]

Make sure that the circle you are exporting is a filled shape rather than a line.

Originally posted by NitroCharged
    What other s/w do you have? It sounds like fireworks is giving you probs.
    When you say it fills the entire circle in, ungroup the objects and then delete the centre fill. ( just grab the outer edge of the object and move it..the centre fill will remain in place and then you can delete it.
    ok the thing is i dont know how to trim in FW, i have my circle and ill move the hexagon over the circle, but how do i make the cut into the circle where the hexagon is?
    i dunno if that makes sense, basically i dont know how to make a trim the hexagon from the circle, so im stuck.
    i do have illustrator but i dont know it to well.

I am not sure why you don't make the shape in Swif.t3d ?
    Go to the extrusion editor and draw a circle, then draw a hex shape inside it and you will have your object.
    Or, was this an example and not really the shape you need to create?

If you want to do this in Fireworks it is easy - draw the circle, draw the hexagon and arrange it over the circle as you wish, select both, go Modify-->Combine-->Punch and and you have it - save as Illustrator 7 and import into Swift 3D.
    Cheers,

Flick

boo hoo .... poor me ... I can't see the sense in using fireworks to do exactly the same thing in swift with less effort

thanks wcoleman, ive never known how to do it in fireworks
    and nitro, the only reason im doing it from fireworks first is because thats how ive always done it, i didnt even no i could create objects in swift 3d, but now i do so yea ill be sure to do it! thanks all.

richard

Originally posted by NitroCharged
    boo hoo .... poor me ... I can't see the sense in using fireworks to do exactly the same thing in swift with less effort
    If I were doing this I would probably do it in Swift 3D, but there is a limit (and in my case it is quickly reached) as to how good my drawings in the extrude or lathe tools are. While I can handle a cirle and a hexagon fairly quickly, I guarantee that if I want a nine-pointed star in a circle I can do it ten times faster (at least) in Fireworks.

Cheers,

Flick