A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: rotating 3d cube interface

I have a real brief at the mo

I need to create a 3d cube which has an image on each face. this cube rotates left to right with the cursor. When an image is selected the cube opens

How do I create a three dimentional cube which rotates, and then how do I control its playback with the cursor. The movie will need to stop and restart when the cursor is in or out of a hit area, canb anyone help?

tall order

Originally posted by kennelski
    I have a real brief at the mo

I need to create a 3d cube which has an image on each face. this cube rotates left to right with the cursor. When an image is selected the cube opens

How do I create a three dimentional cube which rotates, and then how do I control its playback with the cursor. The movie will need to stop and restart when the cursor is in or out of a hit area, canb anyone help?
    This is a tall order, I don't think I'd be up to the task, much less attempt it for someone else.

There is no way to control a true 3d object like you describe, I know you've seen interfaces like you describe, So have I, What would really be required is to build some animations that simluate the look of a spining 3dcube and one for an opening cube. Then using the timeline interface build an animation timeline. Use this as a child movie and interact with it via javascript where you can easily track the movement of the mouse. I'm sure it could be done.

If you give it a go, let us know if there are any specific questions we can try to answer.