A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: RAM Question

RAM Question

First off, I know nothing about RAM.

Alright, I've been trying to install some more RAM into my mother's computer (Dell Dimension 2100), but to no avail. I've been through two sticks of RAM so far, and nothing has worked.

The first stick (PNY) caused restarts every few seconds, and the computer would not start with just that RAM in there, so I took that one back. The second stick works, but only reports as 32mb (by Windows and BIOS).

I've looked through the Dell site trying to find some info and they recommend this RAM for my computer, and from what I can tell it's no different than what I bought. However, when I looked up my system info I got this:

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 133M, 16X64, 4K, 168

I read somewhere that Dell's are picky about the density of chips. Would that have anything to do with the problem?

I would appreciate any help with finding a working RAM. I would purchase the one Dell recommended, but for one: it's expensive since it's made just for the system; and two, I don't see that it's any different from the chips I already found do not work.

Thank you,

Cory
    Last edited by Fruitloops; 08-14-2004 at 04:07 AM.

Unless my memory's giving in, you're installing a 64bit stick -- so I hope you're working on a 64bit motherboard on a 64bit system.

If not, get a couple of these guys, and you should be set.

your system uses DIMMs which you dont need to pair. It should have little black chips on both sides.

you just need to see if Dell has a list of manufacturers it supports. should be able to log in using your Dell computer's ID at support.dell.com.

I think you're just buying incompatible RAM. Dell, like Compaq, are just a bit picky when it comes down to RAM.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    you just need to see if Dell has a list of manufacturers it supports. should be able to log in using your Dell computer's ID at support.dell.com.
    Yea, I've done that, but Dell only seems to lists parts made by them. And their RAM costs $89..

Go to kingstons web page

Go to www.kingston.com and put in the model number of your moms computer and all available working memory will show up.

The price for kingstons value ram, which should work, is a little cheaper than that of their standard kingstons KTM memory