A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: prevent users from downloading images??

Thumbs up

hello,
    how can you prevent users from right-clicking on an image on my site and downloading it.

Sahil

There are javascript codes that will take away the right click option. As i dont know the code, try google! Type javascript right click disable

Say Hello to my little friend. pimpjacksmack's Avatar
    Another trick is to put clear boxes over them. When the user right-clicks... they download your clear box.

If they really want them. There is always a screen capture.

or set the picture as the background of a table cell; even if you right click, there is nothing to download.

but megatoon is right, anything onscreen can be stolen with a simple 'print screen'

Originally posted by pimpjacksmack
    Another trick is to put clear boxes over them. When the user right-clicks... they download your clear box.
    Now that's a trick I've never heard of. Can you go into detail as to how to do that?

neeter

it's impossible to stop people, they can always view your source, there's no way to stop that, and the images will be in their temp net files any way, if it's on a webpage they've already downloaded them.

the best way would be to put your image in an swf, it's harder to crack and most people won't know how. A screen grab would be the only way then.

Oh I know there's always a way outside of Flash/Shockwave. I've been happily discovering them for years. The clear boxes are a new trick that I'd like to explore for standard HTML sites, but it sounds like you'd need to work in layers to do that.

neeter

You could also look into water marking your images. Or putting a digital impression on them. Check this link for info:
    http://www.digimarc.com

Digital Watermarks only do some good if an image is republished on the web, right?

neeter

Web, Print/publishing. Even if youopen thesaved image in Photoshop the watermark would show up. I'm not certain if a screen cap would effect it or not, Just something else to look into.

Say Hello to my little friend. pimpjacksmack's Avatar
    I tried to get ahold of my friend to get an image from him for a link on my site... he didn't have it so I backdoored him by using a screen capture.

Dense Dense Revolution

About the disable right click

I would suggest not to use disable right clicking becuase it will annoy the hell out of people. A lot of surfers tend to right click to quickly access functions such as the back, forward and print so preventing right clicking is like crippling your viewers.

A few weeks ago my university did some testing on how people react to diffrent kinds of UI on website and most of the subjects felt their intelligence insulted when we prevented them from right clicking.

Just my 2 cents

also the java right click, doesnt work on a mac (one mouse button) so if u are an apple bod the pixs is yours

print screen wins at the end of the day

make sure u state on the site everything is copyrighted, or u wont have a leg 2 stand on in court.

imagination through stupidity
    Originally posted by megatoon
    If they really want them. There is always a screen capture.
    or just look at the source and get the url for the img

PPL..... we can actually save a page... the images would come automatically !!!

As all of u have said... "print screen" rules !!

Also, using the context menu key on the keyboard all the stupid javascripts wuold be of no use !

Howazzat ?

- Bananaz
    [Edited by bananaz on 05-19-2002 at 08:42 AM]

imagination through stupidity
    hypersnap dx 4.0 http://www.hypersnap.com