A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX created movie not playing accurately

Having created a number of movies in Flash 5, I have now created one in MX that doesn't appear correctly in two ways:

1 The movie doesn't show at all in some browsers (Flash 6 and 5) but the page continues to load and eventually (10-15 minutes) it will always (I think) play. It is then usually correct after that.

2 I've created text to scroll up the page and it randomly breaks up when scrolling, but then corrects itself when static. Looks fine during Test Movie though.

I'd like to know if anybody has had similar problems with MX.

Thanks

01 >> How big is your SWF file? If the browser cannot find the SWF file or if the SWF link is incorrect, the browser will try forever to load it.

02 >> Can you post the SWF file?

Originally posted by Hannibal Smith
    01 >> How big is your SWF file?

Very small, but the point is that it doesn't recognise it at all. It firstly thinks it is an image file and then, when it eventually realises that it is not, the prelaoder starts. I have found a way round it - the user needs to click STOP on their browser, but I obviously can't tell everybody to do that...

02 >> Can you post the SWF file?
    http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/minisites/scipio

I've now done an even smaller one and it does exactly the same.
    http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/minisites/deadreckoning

I am finding MX unusable and am reverting to Flash 5 until I can get to the bottom of this. I can't believe that other people are not having the same problem.

What browsers are you having trouble with? I can see it fine in IE 6. If you're publishing with MX are you publishing as flash6, 5, 4 ?? It sounds like it must be something you're doing since no one else is having the problem. a fla would be nice to see.

gskinner.com
    Everything you are complaining about works fine in Mac IE 5.1 with .29.

ZE.

I can only assume that it only fails on slow connections because I can see it fine on a T1 and an ISDN, but everybody who has a 56k modem can't see it.

This is the third similar thread I see here.

All complained that page failed in slow connection.

And when I see the page, they all have a similar javascript codes function MM_reload with a line: "location.reload()";

Some one told me that, this is produced automatically by dreamWeaver ?

If I stripped off those javascript, those pages will show normally.

Smile

Originally posted by ericlin

And when I see the page, they all have a similar javascript codes function MM_reload with a line: "location.reload()";

I LOVE YOU.

I really couldn't believe that nobody else was experiencing this. I've been through everything I could think of and this seems to have solved it. I can't guarantee it yet, as I need to see a few more machines, but it makes sense.

I suppose this is their way of forcing us to buy Dreamweaver MX !!!

Actually I have now checked on 56K modems and it doesn't work. I have published straight from Flash MX and the untouched html page still doesn't work - it doesn't even work locally...

I've now found that others ARE having this problem and it seems to me that Flash MX is an unusable product for anybody viewing at less than an isdn connection (ie the majority)...

- it doesn't even work locally...
    I studied the scipio8.swf. (Lets not talk about the deadReconing page, that made me feel not good.)

The movie is version 5 swf, not version 6;

Frame 784-8100 frames are all empty frames ?

The content of the 784 frames are mostly simple tween.

Total script is about 6 lines; The first 3 lines are
    if(_root._framesloaded==_root._totalframes){....}

Maybe you can try deleting the useless frames, so that the _root._totalframes and _root._framesloaded would be easier to check. In my computer, to parse the swf to get the totalFrames to be 8100 needs several seconds.

This is version 5 swf. So, you mean player 6 is not good, It is not Flash MX.

I have a bad experience that Flash MX eats too much resources, and sometimes my computer goes unstable. But I dont think it is unusable.

I quoted a line in your post: it does not work even locally ? Maybe the computer with 56k modem get difficulties to parse the totalframes as 8100 ?

I am curious what we will get.

The world goes - hm.. TheCaramella's Avatar
    Second door on the right, next to the ice bear

Actually I have now checked on 56K modems and it doesn't work. I have published straight from Flash MX and the untouched html page still doesn't work - it doesn't even work locally...
    I've checked your pages on my old pc, on a 56k modem, and not the best line, but it works fine here. I use Opera 6, btw., and get some funny messages: if you can see this message, hit the stop-button for the page to LOAD?! Is that a joke?

I've now found that others ARE having this problem and it seems to me that Flash MX is an unusable product for anybody viewing at less than an isdn connection (ie the majority)...
    Maybe you are just being confused about all the different pages? I mean, I didn't get any Flash-generated page while "wearing" Opera...
    Anyway, I hope you get it working for you as well

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheCaramella

I use Opera 6, btw., and get some funny messages: if you can see this message, hit the stop-button for the page to LOAD?! Is that a joke?

Maybe you are just being confused about all the different pages? I mean, I didn't get any Flash-generated page while "wearing" Opera...
    Anyway, I hope you get it working for you as well

The message is there because it is the only way I have found to load the movies. I am interested by the fact that you only get the message in Opera (I don't have it to hand to test myself) and that clicking STOP doesn't load the movie. It sounds like it doesn't work at all in Opera then.

- it doesn't even work locally...
    I studied the scipio8.swf. (Lets not talk about the deadReconing page, that made me feel not good.)

The movie is version 5 swf, not version 6;

Frame 784-8100 frames are all empty frames ?

The content of the 784 frames are mostly simple tween.

Total script is about 6 lines; The first 3 lines are
    if(_root._framesloaded==_root._totalframes){....}

Maybe you can try deleting the useless frames, so that the _root._totalframes and _root._framesloaded would be easier to check. In my computer, to parse the swf to get the totalFrames to be 8100 needs several seconds.

This is version 5 swf. So, you mean player 6 is not good, It is not Flash MX.

I have a bad experience that Flash MX eats too much resources, and sometimes my computer goes unstable. But I dont think it is unusable.

I quoted a line in your post: it does not work even locally ? Maybe the computer with 56k modem get difficulties to parse the totalframes as 8100 ?

I am curious what we will get.
    Many thanks for all this but unfortunately it hasn't made any difference. The swf was produced using Flash MX but published for version 5. Except in cases where I really need the functionality of MX, I will continue to publish to version 5 until the user-base grows to an acceptable level.

I've removed the extra frames but, apart from reducing the size of the file (not to be sniffed at!) it has made no difference.

Still confused, I'm again going back to using Flash 5 until I can crack this problem.

Thanks