A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Replacing Director

With MX now supporting video, what do u think? .... whats your views, or will it be the other way round?

No way in hell. Director is still the way to go for Interactive CD-ROM's. I work for a Mulitmedia/POST house and we do CD-ROM's daily. We incorporate Flash stuff with our Director stuff, but Flash will not replace Director...ever. Lingo is far more powerful than actionscripting, but actionscript is still one hell of a language.

goowee .... goowee, u really a director fan ya?

but seems like Macromedia is investing more on Flash then Director, maybe I'm wrong!

Flash will never replace Director. Flash is good, but was designed to be a front-end for the web. Director, on the other hand, was design for things like interactive CD-ROMS and other things like. Flash is good, I love Flash but there only a few things Director.

Originally posted by cool mixer
    goowee .... goowee, u really a director fan ya?

but seems like Macromedia is investing more on Flash then Director, maybe I'm wrong!
    Yea, I guess you can see I am a fan of Director. BUT, as you can see from my presence on this board, that I am a fan of Flash too.

The only reason it "seems" like Macromedia is investing more time (and granted they may very well be) in Flash is because of its hugely growing popularity. Director is very good at what it does and is very efficient in its programming language (Lingo). They really don't need to touch it. So they can afford to spend some time polishing up Flash.

NerdInside is right. Flash is a front-end for the web. Director is used for CD-ROM's 98-99% of the time for interactive content. It can just do so much. So again, Flash will not replace Director and vice versa. Peace.

Hey,

any good director/limbo tutorial links?

I have to do some cd project, but i am newbie in director.

tnx

The key thing for me is, Flash does cdrom more <i>easily</i> than Director/Shockwave does web. And for a lot of my projects I need to deliver the same files for web, intranet and cdrom delivery. So I have gravitated towards Flash (combined with SWF Studio - for launching avi's and mov's).

Admittedly I haven't used director for a couple of years. But my memory of it is clouded with plugin and cross platform issues which i am happy not to have to deal with any more.

As to lingo, I found it to be markedly different to other languages, which was kind of annoying as I often have to work in different codes... and 'go to the frame' doesn't achieve much in php and last time I checked there weren't any sprites in actionscript

But then again, when I was using director, my coding knowledge wasn't as advanced as it is now and maybe if I went back to it, i'd find that 3D arrays, for() loops and functions do work in lingo the way I am used to with actionscript and php.

Originally posted by somethinginteractive
    The key thing for me is, Flash does cdrom more <i>easily</i> than Director/Shockwave does web. And for a lot of my projects I need to deliver the same files for web, intranet and cdrom delivery. So I have gravitated towards Flash (combined with SWF Studio - for launching avi's and mov's).
    Somethinginteractive, do you have solution for streaming video in flash?

I have one cd project with two 200MB mpegs. Only because that, I have to use Director. Trouble with Flash is that Flash puts all mpeg(200MB) in RAM, and could not play it streaming.

Any suggestion will help....

Tnx

video in flash....

Don't go there - all my experiments have been disappointing - playback aint that good on movies of any significant duration...

With all cd-rom and intranet stuff (flash exe's) I cheat and just launch the movs or avi's in whatever player the user has (using SWF studio it's pretty basic).

With web stuff i do the same, launch a mini browser window using javascript.

It'd be nice to embed movies seamlessly in my interface but i and my clients would rather have the project work than worry about niceties.

I expect in another version or so, embedded video will be feasible... as always it takes a couple of versions for a new feature to become really workable.

having said that there's probably a third party software developer out there somewhere working 24/7 on a solution... hoping that there work will be snapped up by macromedia for version7... i mean MX2 ....just keep searching.

smi.

As I thought.
    I'll must use Director for this stuff. AAARGH!

It's so like flash, but so different, and I don't know nothing about it. Nothing, must go learn....

CYA

That's funny, I look at flash and think it's so Director like but just not the same. I think I am in the same boat as many of you, except I am trying to learn flash when I have used Director for many years now. The programs are similar, but yet very different. Every program serves a purpose, and CD-ROM's and Kiosks are Directors purpose.

oops

I knew i was getting a sense of deja vu - check out this thread, there are oodles of video suggestions

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=228962

I'm going to try SWF studio again...can I get my 7 minute 360*288 avi to embed in a swf studio exe and playback on a PII running windows 95...I'll let ya know.

adamcl1

if you want, I can help you and you can help me.

if you are interested, can mail me to kresov@mmk.hr

cya

Hammer
    Director 8.5 supports 3d imports. I know you can import to flash with swish and e-rain but director allows texture mapping and motion.. also there is a 3d physics engine called havok which simulates interactions on objects springs and particles. It's pretty cool but not mainstream as you need a high end pc to do it any justice.

Originally posted by garethwdesign
    Director 8.5 supports 3d imports. I know you can import to flash with swish and e-rain but director allows texture mapping and motion..
    hmm I know i saw this a few months ago - uses shockwave 8

http://www.lego.com/eng/offroaders/flash/default.asp

when i've got time to fight the learning curve back into director...and i can convince clients that 3d stuff is what they need...

...one day

smi