A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: scrollBar component not workng

hi friends

I want to use ScrollBar component for external text file which is having html tags

i've done following steps

1. created a dynamic text box with instance name "ddd" and variable name is "abc" on main time line layer1.

2. created a text file name with "recp1.txt" which is started with "abc=<.b><.h1>Himno Nacional de Mexico</.h1></.b>........" (please ignore "." in tags)

3. on main timeline layer2 i have given "this.loadVariables("recp1.txt");"

4. and the drag and drop scrollbar component on my dynamic text box.

and its prameter "target text field = ddd", "horizontal = false"

My problem is the scrollbar is not working ... :-)

HI dear... no neeeeed to get terrified... Do the following steps to get rid of all those probs. It will work... it always works.

1 : if you made changes in that scroll bar (by mistake).. then just open Component panel from window menu and then drag the scroll bar again over the text field object. the watch the changes... I will ask you to over write or not to... the existing FScrollbar component. you should click on yes. then you will get the result.

2: if above suggestion doesnt work then delete that field. create a new one. name it as dynamic.... (in Flash MX no need to give any variable name to text fields)... Drag the Scroll bar component.

Note: "You should use only one key frame if you want to load the text into this field from out side Flash. because when maintime line runs the movie clips and other objects are always executed on each lying keyframe so be carefull to use keframes while working with FSComponents."

hope you would get the results... if you dont get then lemme know I will mail you an example.

hi

thanks for support

ive tried as per your instruction, but still its not working

ive hosted the file on following path, please refer it

http://romio3k.fcpages.com/scroll.zip

Here is a solution to your problem.

Hi again,

Here is a solution to your problem.

You are doing mistake.... I saw your source code. You are telling Flash 6 to load variable "abc" directly into the text field which has scroll bar attched with. I think you should read Flash Api its really worthy for flash programmer. Since Flash 6 has changed it's environment. No need to use Flash 5 techs. Even no need to define a variable name for any text field in Flash 6... it's in support to Flash 5... All is done by Instance naming. You should to the help in MX and see TextField Object, read its all properties carefuly then you will perform better than ever.

I suffered the same. and judged and concluded as above.

One more thing... you should put an & sign in your variable file. this will guide Flash to separate each variable from others.

I wrote a little example to scroll your text field, you can download from my web site, go to the following link :
    http://Flash-Mx.20m.com/scroll.zip

I am using Flash 6 (beta) since december 2001. and now MX... I 've developed some Flash Applications. So I am glad to work with Flash MX... its really amazing. I love it.

hi

thanks

yr link for download is not working

Oh!! sorry... I think 20m doesnt offer to access the files and folders from outside.

pls try to download via getright... I tested it before adhering the link here... you can try again...

http://flash-mx.20m.com/scroll.zip

this time you will get it.

hey thanks

thats nice

can u tell me what is flash API, or any site of it for knowledge

Hi, I have the same problem, and I downloaded your example and it doesnt scroll either...

refer reply from "RealBaz"

Yes I know, It doesnt work though. I downloaded his example and when I run it, it doesnt scroll.

only "scroll2.fla" is working

Hi fellows,

So many replies in hours....

Romio you first...
    Well, Flash Api is basically Flash help... It's called Application Programming Interface, since I am Java Programmer that's why I (ppl like me...) call it API.

The API gives solutions to your problems... I has some techs and algos to solve in minutes... When I think I need help, I simply press F1 and search a best solution to my problem. You can do the same. Just go ahead. Flash API has all the solutions for any kind of Flash programmer.

No need to waist your time on net while you have an amzing collection of solutions on your Hard Drive.

If you want to search the net.. then you can go to Were-here.com, flashkit.com and flashzone.com

I learnt alot from these resources.... ppl drop their art work there and others get benifits...

Sooner you will get more close solutions to your problems... wait for short time.

Yes, Scroll 2 works... I zipped up both of working and not working files together... I is only for learning purpose.

Tin, I think you have got the solution.

Enjoy....

Sooner I will show you the beauty of Flash MX...

Best regards

Shahbaz Hussain.

Well, the first DL link works, and it comes with scroll only. The 2nd one doesnt work...

Thanks realbaz for API ... i found a site http://www.doubleyou.com/flashAPI/

basically i am not a programmer guy ... so its difficult for me to understand.

well TinFoil

http://flash-mx.20m.com/scroll.zip
    this link is working fine ... download it with GetRight ... scroll2.fla is working in it and dont forget to click "<>" sign to enable html tag in text box property

Good,

So have you got solution to your problem?

yes i got it

thanks again

just found one more solution from

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...62#post1692962

i think the same discussion is goingon

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...t_scrollmx.htm
    [Edited by romio3k on 05-16-2002 at 06:40 AM]

You seem a hard worker...

keeeeeep going on... you will get better on each minute.

To whom it may concerned,

I encountered this problem the very first night I MX was released. It is a bug within MX itself. I have a very simple fix for it if (you don't have to be a master programmer). If anyone is interested I will be more than happy to give you the source code.

Samuel Agesilas
    Teknowiz, LLC

Scrollbar only functions when we change the "text" value of the textbox instance; It wont function if we load to the Var of the textbox;

For those whoe does not like to use loadVar(), and onLoad; you can still use loadVariables to make the scrollbar working.

You got a textbox with instance name "ddd";
    In your data file "recp1.txt"; write lines as below:

text=this is my text .......

If you want htmlText, you can write

htmlText=<.B>Himno Nacional de Mexico<./B>

Now, loadVariables("recp1.txt",ddd); Thus, you just load variables to that textbox;

Easy right ?

thanks for support

i am getting many solutions for 1 prob

board contribution is really nice