A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 6 Standalone Player TOOOO Slooow! Help!!

Hybrid View

Hi,

I made 2 self executable files (1 for PC and 1 for Mac) for a CD that contains an interface and a video embeded in it. The file size of each one is about 87 megs (has a 4 minute video in it). I am using Flash MX, and export these 2 standalone files. When I run them, it takes like 20-30 seconds for it to launch. Seems really slow and long! People may think the computer is frozen, and this can be annoying. Is there anything I can do to have it come up quicker (like the stand alone Director pieces do)???

I tried sticking a preloader in there, and that doesn't work. I tried exporting multiple times, and it does the same thing. Anyone know what I can do or experience the same thing?? Please help!! Thanks!!

I never publish as a projector with Flash....use it for the web only and sometimes CD-ROM elements incorporated WITH Director. Never Flash alone.

So I can't verify your problem, but if it is able to function like Director projectors is it possible to make a stub file like you would in Director that calls the external movies? This is what we do when making interactive CD-ROMs with Director. Make a file with just the code in the first frame that loads the external main movie. That way the file of the stub is really small and starts up really fast. Try that...I don't know if Flash projectors can do that though...I assume they should be able to. If not that kinda sucks.

The problem is probably that the Flash projector is loading all 87 MB before playing. Perhaps you can create a small loader projector which loads/streams the 87 MB SWF from an external SWF file?

Tried external SWF--still no luck

Originally posted by Banana Fred
    The problem is probably that the Flash projector is loading all 87 MB before playing. Perhaps you can create a small loader projector which loads/streams the 87 MB SWF from an external SWF file?
    Thanks for your comments and replies. I tried it out, but still no luck. I created a small EXE projector file to load in a movie (SWF), and it just hangs on the loading screen of the EXE.

I've researched this on other sites, including Macromedia's boards, and I haven't been able to get it to happen. Anyone else have any ideas???

I tried loading an external EXE, external SWF... no luck. Anyone??