A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Variables and choosers

What is the purpose of the "V" button next to the view menu on the choose view dialog? How do you use it? I know it says it is an expression to evaluate, but what is its purpose?

Hi 4crafts,

The "V" means that you can express the name of the chooser element as an expression or equation.

Say you had two chooser elements named Choose1 and Choose2. You can have a variable throughout your movie that can be used to keeps tabs on which chooser element to work with next. The variable in this case would most likely contain either a 1 or a 2.

Now, the "V" comes in handy because we can take the word "Choose" and attach the value that the variable holds to the end. Doing this will result in either Choose1 or Choose2.

Here's what you may see in the chooser action (but you have to have the "V" button depressed.

"Choose" & myChooser

What the above line will do is take the word "Choose" and append the value of myChooser to the end of it. The variable myChooser must either contain a 1 or 2.

I hope that I've explained the clearly enough. It's not an easy thing to grasp at first.

Cheers,
    Kusco

Is there a way to do this also with the actions the have no "V"? I want load variables like this:

"http://" & ip & "/news_newemail.asp"

But the Load variable action has no "V" option.

I want to post and recieve variables over a ASP script.