A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dynamically imported text and the scroll bar component???

I have had some awsome advice from people, however when you load vaariables into a main movie, then press a button to load another swf (that has a dynamic textfield with the scroll bar component which grabs variables from _root.blahblah..) into a target the scroll bar dosent want to work..
    any ideas!
    dont mention the flash tutorial about loading external text into a dynamic scrolling component because it dosent work for movies being imported into a root web.
    HELP

Senile member! :)
    the scrollbar component seems to work only with text that has been written straigth into the textfield instead of put into it through a variable. there are probably a function that you can call from within the component that updates it but thast requires some reverse engineering of the component.

I have noot been able to find any information on this yet...

Oki I have seen a tutorial on the macromedia site... (Is this the one you refer to phillips_pm?)sure they use a dynamic textfield. but notice the fact that they enter the text into the textfield not into a string variable that later gets connected to the textfield!

So my impression of the scrollbar component is that it without some time consuming code examination is useless!

if anyone knows how to kick the the scrollbar in the ass so it updates itself to match the current content? If so please shere with us!!!

/Mirandir

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...t_scrollmx.htm

Search on Macromedia.com support section for almost anything.

It works by loading text from a txt file.
    [Edited by NerdInside on 05-15-2002 at 03:48 PM]

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin

you have mail

Hack, but works...

I've been banging my head all day on this...I finally came up with a solution that works.

first, create your text field, set it to dynamic text and assign a variable name and instance name. Attach your scrollbar.

next, put the thing in a 3 frame movie clip. on frame 3, add a script to set the text field variable equal to itself. (eg. myTextField.text=this.text) Add a stop action.

finaly, to update the variable at runtime, write a function that first, sets the new value of the variable, then sends the playhead in the aforementioned movie clip to frame 2. When it hits frame 3, the movie clip/text field has had time to receive the variable, then kicks itself in the ass and the scrollbar becomes enabled.

I appologize if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm VERY tired. But it works. Contact me and I'll send the source file.

Senior Member Flamboyant Flasher's Avatar
    I'd like to peruse that fla. out of sheer curiosity...

flamboyantflasher@hotmail.com

If you read what is on the Macromedia website, that is what it says to do. Or something close to.

hi

please refer this thread ... it may be helpful

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=311850

ff-
    I put a zip file for you on my server:
    http://traindev.integic.com/flashsamples

Should be pretty straightforward.
    Jody

Senior Member Flamboyant Flasher's Avatar
    Good One JodySmith, good one...

!

thanks for saving my day!