A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: difference between behaviors

Wink

I'm still not sure when to set the behavior on a symbol from "graphic" to "movie" clip, and vice-versa. I know a staic symbol should be a graphic. However, if I animate a symbol and keep its behavior set as "graphic" it still works. So, when is the appropriate time to use these behaviors?

p.s. I'm already at a point where i shouldn't be asking those questions (guess I was too lazy to ask before...)

Another cold one on me whoever answers. thanx

For a movie clip - u can cotrol it using buttons variable etc by gioving it an instance name. This can't be done with a graphic

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

Actualy you can make a graphic animation act as a Movie clip by changing its setting in the properties dialog.

Graphics are animations that will play as long as the main timeline is moving. (graphic animation is 25 frames long, main timeline is 25 frames long) Hovever if the main timeline is only 10 frames long the graphic animation will stop. A graphic also can not use stop actions.

Movie clips are animation that run on their own independent timelines. This means if the main timeline is only 3frames long and the movie clip is 300 it will play through the end and loop. But you can also use Stop actions to have the animation come to a halt any where on its timeline. You can also use instance names to name the movie clip so you can have actions in code to tell the movie to play, goto, stop, etc. You do this through the Tell Target Command.

I hope this clears up any questions you have about moive clips and graphics. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Talking

Thanx, a million thanx, you hit the nail on the head! (You're either well-payed for this or some kind of off the wall good samaritan freak. kiddin.)
    If you're ever around my area, gimme a buzz, I owe you some cold ones...
    Keep up the good work.