A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: pc files won't cooperate for hybrid mac/pc cd

I am trying to burn a hybrid pc/mac cd by following the instructions in the FAQ posting in the "Macintosh" category.
    I have four problems.

First of all, the autorun file for the pc doesn't work.

Second of all, the windows icon I created from Iconographer (the free program downloaded from the web) doesn't show up. Just the regular diamond-shaped projector icon does.

Three, and most important of all, is that there is a huge problem with the pc files:
    At the end of the flash projector, it gets the url of an html file that is found in the "files" folder. When the movie tries to get the url from the cd, it says it can't find the "file:///DI/...". I have no idea where the "DI" came from! Like I said, the html files are in a folder called "files" that is on the same level as the projector.

Fourth, is also with the pc files. At the end of my flash projector are buttons that when clicked get the url of different html files. These don't work.

Obviously there is something wrong with the way I'm burning the pc files, because the Macintosh ones are fine. I am burning using Toast 5.01 on a Macintosh G4 computer with Mac OS 9.

Can someone tell me how best to organize the files.

1. Did you write the autorun with bbedit and save it in DOS format? And is it in the top level of the CD?

2. The icon you created is for the CD, not the projector, i don't know how to change an application file icon for PC on a Mac, anyone?

3. Check the URL again, and make sure you use a relative link to the folder (i.e. file://files/thefile.htm) the third slash at the begining of the url you posted means it starts looking for the file you requested in the root of the file system, DI is probably the name of the PC's Hard disk that you were testing on.

4. Check the code, post it here if you want.

1. Did you write the autorun with bbedit and save it in DOS format? And is it in the top level of the CD?

YES. ( SOMEONE ELSE HELPED ME FIX THIS PROBLEM.)

2. The icon you created is for the CD, not the projector, i don't know how to change an application file icon for PC on a Mac, anyone?

THANKS FOR THE INFO!

3. Check the URL again, and make sure you use a relative link to the folder (i.e. file://files/thefile.htm) the third slash at the begining of the url you posted means it starts looking for the file you requested in the root of the file system, DI is probably the name of the PC's Hard disk that you were testing on.

I USED
    file://Files/f_e_p.html
    IT GAVE ME THIS ERROR MESSAGE:
    \\Files\f_e_p.html is not accessible.

4. Check the code, post it here if you want.

THE CODE IS THE SAME AS ABOVE, EXCEPT THE HTML FILE NAMES ARE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT. (HOWEVER ALL URL FILE NAMES ARE 11 CHARACTERS OR LESS.)

That means windows is looking for a computer called "files"
    Leave out the protocol and just use getURL("Files/f_e_p.html");

Ok, thanks for the info! I changed the pathway and I don't get that error message anymore on the PC. However, I still get "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" message in the browser window. Is it possible that EVERY html file must be 11 characters or less? The file I was trying to open in the GetURL is a frameset, so it's made up of lots of other html files (these were not 11 characters or less.) If that is the case, I have a lot of work ahead of me changign all the names, but atleast I know what the root of the problem is!
    Thank you!

oh . . . do the image names also have to be 11 characters or less?

the names should be 11 characters in total, 8 for the name and 3 for the extension

thefile1.htm

Also, if you are using toast to burn the CD, when you select the pc side of the hybrid, click the settings tab and choose Joliet (DOS + Windows) from the naming drop down menu. This should fix the problem, and you shouldn't have to rename all of the files, though i haven't tested this.

THANK YOU!!! I can't thank you enough! That WORKED!!!

I have one teensy problem yet, but i can work around it if it can't be solved. . .
    I have the autorun file setup to open the Shockwave Install. It works fine, and opens up right away when I pop the CD in. But then when I go into "My Computer" on the desktop, and double-click on the CD icon, the Installer starts up again! However, if I highlight the CD icon and do a <file<open, then it opens the folder to display all the other icons on CD, including the projector icon.

Any suggestions or advice?
    Thanks!

That's just the way autorun cds work, nothing you can do about it as far as i know.

I thank you so much for your help and time.

my pleasure