A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Saphua

Hi,

This is the link to my new RPG... I have almost all the basic's finisched... I know it still sux and there are lil bugs in it... There is only one that bothers me now... It's slooooow!!! How can I fix this without putting the fps higher??? (It's slow cuz of all the grapic's)

http://www30.brinkster.com/saphua
    [Edited by Ed Mack on 05-21-2002 at 11:46 AM]

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Sorry man, I didn't have the patience to wait for it to load Also you have to change the URL! HTTP instead of htpp! couldn't you make a preloader or teaser or something?

lol

Actually it is http

[ed: It's HTTP, get it right! That's Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. I deleted the other post by Shocker beneth, as it was just confusing and a repeat hehe]
    [Edited by Ed Mack on 05-21-2002 at 11:49 AM]

uhm???

what wrong with the link???

it's good isn't it???

but I think it works now with the loading thing (over 5 min's from now)

I cant get the thing to load... I just get a black screen and it doesnt go any further, i tried downloading the .swf and brinkster wasnt having any of it.

hmmmmmmmmmm

thats strange

Is it over a meg in size? Cant you have a perloader or at least a gauge at how long its gonna take?

Uhm..

No,

It's only 141K

ok, im sure you've changed it so that its a direct link to the .swf now Anyway, its not THAT slow.. a little jerky maybe but that is probably because you have the FPS set low. The only thing i can suggest too speed it up is optimize your code! Put things in functions - make sure you are not calculating anything more than you have to e.t.c.

Also, i noticed - it makes a 'walking' sound when you have the forward button down so when the person is against a wall with the forward button down, your not moving but its still making a sound,

Im sure its something that could be easily fixed.

Lookin good, especially the inventory.

[AMD Duron 900Mhz, 256Mb Ram]
    [Edited by random10122 on 05-21-2002 at 05:00 PM]

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Hey moster,
    I got it this time, and it loaded pretty quick! It looks ok. amd is actually not that slow on my machine (900 mhz - PIII - 256 ram)...good luck with it

heey

thanks guys...

I can put the fps higher, but when I put more grapic's in it it'll be slow... that sux thoug

And about the footstepwalkingaganstwallerrorsoyoucanstillherethe sound

yeah thats a good idea, also have you noticed that when you press the down button it makes a weird sound?? yeah I know that's strange but I can't fix i, well I'll try it later...

Ow and BTW read the controls first or else you can't do anything at the moment, cuz it's already so boring and if you don't know wta to do...

And you can press one of the button's at the down left conrner and then shoot with space...

And I know the bug in the inventory system that the slecter can get out of screen

And I that everyone helping me in this game (lotta people from flashkit)

i like the inventory mosterd.I want to make an inventory like that only that certain things always go to the same place in the inventory when you pick them up (and when that "slot" for that item (so the place in the inventory is occupied (cause you picked it up before,it is not picked up),do you know how to do that?
    can the fla of yours be downloaded somewhere?
    I´d like to play around with that to try it

incredibulus-actionscriptum magnetos's Avatar
    an easy way to make a inventory
    make a mc with like 6 slots or more ....

in each slot put an invisible item mc

eg
    slot 1 keys
    slot 2 bread
    slot 3 sword
    slot 4 potion
    slot 5 diamonds
    slot 6 gold

now if you pick up a "key" make the item "key" on the inventory visible else make invisible
    if you pick more the one of the same item just increase a variable which if you like will be displayed on a textfield right under the item mc
    if that variable reaches a maximum value then you cant collect anymore items
    now
    to increase game speed ...

avoid to use gradients like the ones moster is using
    make the inventory desplay only when you pick up an item or when you push a key
    optimize the graphics using flash5 tools

well now i go bang my head on the that wall over there
    i wanna try if my hit Test works

thanks for that idea magnetos,i thought i had to do it with arrays,this will do perfectly for my needs
    (and better not try the hittest,i´m sure it will work )

:)

I like that you like my inventory :P

To be hounest.. I stole almost all the scripting of it and changed it a bit, when I started to understand it.. (cuz I don't get a f**k of arrays.

If you want I can you a .fla with the script??

hello mosterdflash,yes,please send me the fla of that cool inventory thingy of yours,i´d like to give it a try and also magnetos idea,so i can see what runs faster (i noticed that you have to watch out that it doesn´t slow things down in everthying you do in flash.
    my mail: myers23@hotmail.com

mosterdfles_flash, you can make it faster only by making it smaller.

You could first make whole game area smaller, from width 600 to 400. Smaller it is, faster it will scroll.

And if you still want it to be faster, you must break the scrolling ground into tiles and start adding/removing them

Ed

Dear Ed,

Here is what I said (or meant)
    I entered the site with the htpp, not http and it worked! my browser knew it meant http! IE6

and I do know what HTTP is thank you very much :P

I did not have the detail of your fla.

Are those bitmap still in bitmap type ?

Bitmaps scroll easier and faster than vector images.

If you have bitmap image got break apart, you may try use the original bitmap.

For some reason, I feel that the black hero and the 3 black stones in the left corner are much more difficult to scroll and repaint than the green background.

You can try remove those 3 black stones. If that improves scrolling, make them bitmap and test it again.