A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: looking to script a interactive graph!!

So, I need to create a graphic chart that shows the decrease of an anual debt over the past four years in incriments. it is not as easy as it sounds. Has anyone used flash to create dynamic graphs.

thx

Hi,

If you have MX, you can get the charting component from the MM exchange.

If you don't have MX it is still possible, but a little bit too involved to write into a thread.

Which bit are you struggling with????

Dan.

hi, i'm no guru but i'd like to take a shot.

this is all conceptual so i want to apologize if it just messes up ur plans

i'd make each dot for each year, and those dots correspond to certain Y coordinates (which correspond to the debt).

each dot then will act as connect-the-dots type of thing.. sorry, i'd be able to help a BIT more if it was in java, but in AS i'm a NOOOBie...

i guess the first dot would be "1", 2nd, "2".. etc.

then compute for the line that connects them, and 1 to 2 to 3 to...

toeny,

If the last post confuses you, don't worry - it confused me and I've created quite a few graph functions.

Dan.

my dilema

I have done a lot of basic action scripting, eg. simple frame and button actions on rollovers and such. I am just trying to figure out how to make this graph a lot more dynamic then click a button and watch a bar rise in the graph. I do have MX, but am still learning. I am a very quick and eager pupil when it comes to flash. I am not sure what you meant when you said i can get the component from "MM" I have found the UI components and have used them to creating scrolling text boxes, but that is the extent. I hope you can help, and be patient through the process.

Tony

Macromedia Charting Components

Hi,

In addition to the UI components and UI components set 2, Macromedia have produced the Flash Charting Components. These and more (including 2 of my own), are available at the Flash Exchange on the macromedia website.

If the components don't do what you need, you may want to look into creating your charting functions. This can be done much easier in MX with the introduction of the drawing api as you can dynamically draw the charts based on data.

If you don't get what you want from the Charting Components, come back to me and I'll happily go through the basics of the drwaing with AS stuff.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

Smile

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help, i am going to check out those componenets and play with them for a while. But keep an eye out for me, I may need some further tuteladge (I am not sure if that is a word

Tony

Tuteladge!!!!

Don't think so, but it sounds cool anyway.

Take my email 'dan@technomedia.co.uk' and mail me if you need to.

Dan.

Chart components

so you have had some of your own extensions put on the mm site for d/l thats really cool. I downlaoded the charting components and they are pretty nice, but can i add a custom animation inside a chart. For eg. I would say that to fix a problem will cost 5000 dollars but only 2000 is spent. Could i make the remainder drop off or just add some sex appeal to an otherwise boring chart?

Tony