dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dreamweaver ?, but I thought someone hear could help me

I have dreamweaver 3 and recently I have installed Windows XP. When I had Windows 98 there was no issues with me ftping my files to the web server, but now Dreamweaver tells me that access is denied. This 550 error is while using the same files I was using with 98 without any errors.

I have reinstalled Dreamweaver 3 a couple of times and I am wondering if there is some compatibility issues with it and XP. I say this because right after I installed it I defragmented the drive and there were a lot of files on this program that could not be defragmented.

If I create a new page, for example trash.html and try to ftp it this works fine, but when I try to ftp my older files that I had before I upgraded to XP it says access is denied.

Can someone help me with this, please?

Thank you
    jhb

Change Owner

Hi,

This sounds more like an ownership issue.

Because the files that were created on your '98 machine give you a 550 error, yet ones created on your 'XP machine don't, it sounds like you no longer have ownership or access rights to the old files.

Telnet up to your server as admin and chown the files, or change the file permissions to allow your group users access.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

Dan, as far as I know and from what I have been told by the people hosting my files is that all access has been given to me for the files. Can you be a little more specific about how I would check these permissions? I think you are right with this perhaps being an ownership issue, because when I install Dreamweaver it says that this program has already been installed and is this ok. I am not sure if that is an indication of what your talking about or not, but maybe. I did think it was kind of weird that it would allow me to ftp new files, but not the ones I had before I upgraded. So, if you could give me a little more information on how to check these permissions that would be helpful.

Also, would you know why right after I installed it the defrag program would show that there were alot of files associated with Dreamweaver 3 that could not be defragmented? I did not notice that when I right clicked on the install icon it did not have XP for an option only ME and 2000, 98. What should I pick?

Thanks
    jhb

Hi,

To change ownership of files I use Telnet, however I don't imagine you will have Telnet access with a basic hosting company. You may be able to do this via ftp, by using CHMOD and changing the permissions that way.

If you don't know a lot about ownership, search on CHMOD to see the different permissions and who they apply to.

What it sounds like is that your new install is a 'New' user on your computer, therefore you aren't allowed to defrag the files that are owned by your old (W98) user id and the same with the server, you can't overwrite the files because you (XP user) don't own them.

Look at changing the old files on your PC to be owned by you ( do a help in windows if you're unsure how), then try the CHMOD thing with the files on your server.

Hope you sort it out,

Dan.

Dan, my hosting company does have a control panel that I was able to go into and look at the properties. It does appear that I have full control of these folders.

And looking at the windows side of it when I right click and select properties the only options are general, sharing, and customize. In sharing it is only talking about a network and allowing the file to be used by other users, which I do not think apply to this.

What should I select to configure dreamweaver with xp before I install it and about when it says, "Program already been installed"?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

jhb

Hi,

Without sitting at your PC it's rather difficult to advise.

I don't use XP, I use 2000, but it sounds like you don't have admin access to your PC. What you need to do is ensure your user has admin priveleges, right click, select properties, click the security tab, select the advanced button, click the owner tab, and take ownership of the file.

With regards to your web server.

Your web based control panel won't give you anywhere near the access levels that you'd need to change owners, groups
    and file permissions, you need to do this through your FTP client, or a Telnet client if you have the access.

I really can't advise on your installing dreamweaver I'm afraid.

Dan.

Dan, what should I do if the only options when I went into properties were general, sharing, and customize? There is not a security tab that I see. Is this an indications of me not having admin access like you are saying. If so, what do I need to change to get this?

I understand what you are saying about the file permissions. It seems to be the obvious thing when I can make a new page, save it, ftp it, and it works fine, but yet on these older files that while appearing on the remote site prompt an error saying, "access denied" when I try to ftp them.

jhb

Hi,

You can configure users on windows in the control panel under user and settings, however if you aren't logged on with admin rights, I don't know if you will be able to do anything.

I'm pretty sure your problem stems from your install, and the way you have configured your system/access, but I'm not a PC support wiz, so can only suggest possible cause and solution!

Dan.

Dan, you were correct. It was an admin issue. I have tried ftping a database file and things seem to be going fine. The solution --- I had to run Dreamweaver as the administrator. I read something in windows help that said it was not safe or as safe to run your os as the admin because of potential viruses. At this point all other programs are working fine and the need to do such a thing has not become important up to this point (besides this issue with Dreamweaver). Just curious though how would I log into the computer as the admin instead of pressing shift and selecting run as for each individual program. Your info has been a great help. Thank you.

jhb

Do you know how I would change permissions on an access db or what I need to do to resolve this error...The site was working when I had win98, but now I have xp

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

Could not use ''; file already in use.

Hi,

Don't know about the Access problem I'm afraid - try the MSDN site!

You could try logging in as 'administrator' and leaving the password blank if you don't know it and it hasn't been set.

Hope it works, if it does change it, don't leave it blank.

Dan.