A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Inserting Scrolling text into existing movie

Red face

Finally, I have figured out all of the bugs in my little scroller, I can't seem to insert it into my existing movie. While viewing the scrolling movie, everything works fine. I have tweaked the code and the text formating and am happy it finally works.

YET, when I highlighted the frames of that movie, opened the main movie and pasted the frames in, it doesn't work properly. It is visible but it appears there is no mask to hide the text that scrolls out of the "scrolling area".

Here is the link to just the scroller: http://www.pixelwhip.com/scroller2_test.htm

The main movie is at http://www.pixelwhip.com

Of course the little scroller is intended to appear in the right pane of the "resume" section of the main movie.

Any hints???

Thanks,
    P

have you tried putting a blank movie clip in your movie and then using the loadMovie action to load the working .swf into the blank movie clip? it is easier than manually migrating your timeline into a movieclip. be careful about paths tho. if you have absolute paths to the _root that target your scrolling textbox, they will be broken. if you set everything up with relative paths, it should work.

-UB-

Ahhhh, didn't even think of that. Thanks, I'll go try it.

P.

ummmmm, I'm getting lost somewhere....

Need URL, Location, Variables. When I click on the "target" icon, I get a window like you mentioned that asks for the path. I checked the Relative box and typed in the title of the .swf file. (The .swf is in the same directory as the main .fla)

Nothing happens when I preview though. This is rather new territory for me so I'm sure it's a lack of knowledge on my part.

loadMovie("url",level/target[, variables])

i don't know how the simple mode in the actionscript editor works, but you basically want to end up w/ something like this:

loadMovie ("scrolling.swf", "_root.blankClip");

replace "scrolling.swf" with the name of the movie that you are loading and replace blankClip with the instance name of your blank movie clip (_root assumes your blank clip is on the main timeline).

hope that helps...

-UB-

Yessssss, that's what I needed to know.

Thanks a ton.

Robbie (aka Pixelwhip)

glad i could help...

-UB-