A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: can't type in loaded text box

hiya

i have a text box in a SWF that i load into a blank MC on my main timeline. Inside that blank MC on the first frame of its timeline i have this code:

onPress = function () { startDrag(this)};
    onRelease = onReleaseOutside = function () { stopDrag()};

which needs to be like that (i can't put the code on the MC). But when i go to type in the text box after it's loaded, i can't..i can only drag it around. any idea on how to fix this? thanks!

Hi,

It seems like quite a complicated way of enabling a movieclip to be dragged.

Have you considered:

Adding a drag bar to the movieclip and using _parent.startDrag();

Or if you have to have the whole movieclip act as the drag instead of a bar:

Add a transparent movieclip to a new layer of the draggable clip that is the same size as its parent, then have the text box on a layer above this. Then use the _parent.startDrag action from your transparent background clip.

Hope these suggestions give you some ideas of how to do this.

Dan.

hi dan

thanks for your input..but i need to have the drag code that way, it is essential to the rest of my movie. what i don't understand is why i can't type in the text box, there has got to be a way to show the cursor. if you have any ideas please let me know, thanks!

Hi,

I still can't see why you are trying to do it this way.

It won't work that way as you are trapping the mouse press of the whole movieclip that contains the textbox, so you will never be able to click the text box without triggering the drag!

You need to trap the mouse press with something inside that clip, but below the text box layer.

Hope you find a solution.

Dan.