A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I just want to make side view xiaoxiao fighting movies

All I want to do is make movies like the xiaoxiao ones, but only the ones which are side view. This is becuase I tried some of the 3d stuff and it is really hard. I just would like maybe a fighting stick tutorial or something, and maybe a good framerate to run at and some tips. And I am now using 3d flash animator since it works really good. Thanks

Originally posted by kungfuman
    All I want to do is make movies like the xiaoxiao ones, but only the ones which are side view. This is becuase I tried some of the 3d stuff and it is really hard. I just would like maybe a fighting stick tutorial or something, and maybe a good framerate to run at and some tips. And I am now using 3d flash animator since it works really good. Thanks
    Well you assume we have some idea what xiaoxiao is!

Side view fighting, make figure move the pieces based on keypresses.... Where do you want to start?

Look at the Michaelangleo example included with 3dfa I think this might get you started.

Oh I am sorry, I should have thought my subject out a little more. Ok xiaoxiao are these really cool flash stick figure fighting movies, in which the stick figures use kung fu and stuff like that. Here is a link to their main site http://www.xiaoxiaomovie.com/index02.htm
    If it says too many users just keep refreshing til it loads up. I recommend you look at xiaoxiao 3, 7 and 8. Once you have looked at these you may get what I'm talking about. I really want to make a stick figure movie like xiaoxiao #3.
    And when I asked for a tutorial I meant if anyone knew of any tutorials that made movies sort of like this could you please send me a link to them. Thank you very much and sorry for my first post, I hope this one helps a little more.

ok

Oh I am sorry, I should have thought my subject out a little more. Ok xiaoxiao are these really cool flash stick figure fighting movies, in which the stick figures use kung fu and stuff like that. Here is a link to their main site http://www.xiaoxiaomovie.com/index02.htm
    If it says too many users just keep refreshing til it loads up. I recommend you look at xiaoxiao 3, 7 and 8. Once you have looked at these you may get what I'm talking about. I really want to make a stick figure movie like xiaoxiao #3.
    And when I asked for a tutorial I meant if anyone knew of any tutorials that made movies sort of like this could you please send me a link to them. Thank you very much and sorry for my first post, I hope this one helps a little more.
    Couldn't get page to load but I think I have some idea of what you are after...

Let me say I'm always surprised when someone ask to do something non-trivial like this as a first project... I'd HIGHLY reccomend you learn the basics of the program first... Create a simple animation, when you've mastered that the more complex stuff with be within your reach..

Animatiion can be done in 3dfa a number of ways. To do what you are thinking you might try a chooser element and put all the different poses in each view then you can jump from view to view in the timeline as desired.

You could also create a stick character as a number of paint elements on a layer and animated each part as desired using Javascripting.

There is a dancing(jumping?) stick figure example included with 3dfa that just might get you started.

Most of all you'll need just to play around with it and see what might work for you.

Well thank you, and on that sdubject of layers, I made a layer with two stick people in it, 1 paint object for each body and one paint for the head. But when i tried to do the select object children, or whatever the option is, I couldn't choose all the different parts. This made me very angry since I've made a couple of stupid animations in a timeline, but had different paint obejects for each body part, and then had to animate each body part one by one, then i'd miss a key position and the movies would go cruddy. And when i found out about layers i was very happy, but i can't get them to work. Can someone help me. Thanks

Well thank you, and on that sdubject of layers, I made a layer with two stick people in it, 1 paint object for each body and one paint for the head. But when i tried to do the select object children, or whatever the option is, I couldn't choose all the different parts. This made me very angry since I've made a couple of stupid animations in a timeline, but had different paint obejects for each body part, and then had to animate each body part one by one, then i'd miss a key position and the movies would go cruddy. And when i found out about layers i was very happy, but i can't get them to work. Can someone help me. Thanks
    One at a time is exactly what you have to do.... Sorry it will be VERY time consuming, thats why the animation you pointed out is so popular I think.

Open the layer then select the element to edit the indivedual stick figures. I tried it and it works I used the morph event to animate them, Not my thing so they didn't look great but it did work. If I get the time I'll try to work up a little tutorial.

Brets got the right idea here. Make a layer with your different pieces and animate the entire layer using a move or a morph...........

it's really pretty simple, but as Bret also said(in this thread or another), you might want to tackle some basics first, and get your feet wet before you dive on in, Regardless, moving the center points of your objects to a place that naturally rotates(shoulder, elbow, knee, etc) will help alot.

-Jason

Did an example for this using seperate images on a layer, and another using a single image morphing it point by point. I think it may actually be simpler(as long as your working with stickmen that is)to do this as a single image, I still think that for anything more complex, you should break it up into seperate images though.

Try these and see if they help:

http://www.deadyeti.com/into3dfa/stickman_single.html

http://www.deadyeti.com/into3dfa/stickman_seperate.html

-Jason

One more:

http://www.deadyeti.com/into3dfa/sti...katerdood.html

This one is done using frame animations on a chooser with keyboard controls to switch between the different views(might have to turn this one into a simple game).

kungfuman,

Thanks for posting this question, I've had fun working out the different ways to animate stickmen. I hope the examples I've posted are helpful. Feel free to ask about anything you don't understand, and I'll do my best to answer it.

-Jason

Thanks that stuff really helped. The "stickman_single" was a was really helpful, plus I forgot about the keypostions being able to have a smaller delay time, so I changed mine and now they look better, plus using the layer thing helps alot. Thanks alot

Thanks that stuff really helped. The "stickman_single" was a was really helpful, plus I forgot about the keypostions being able to have a smaller delay time, so I changed mine and now they look better, plus using the layer thing helps alot. Thanks alot
    Don't forget to let us know when we can see it! Even if only a work in progress.