dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: menu buttons and most buttons not working!

As you can see in the attached (AVI) movie (inside the zip file), (OK I am not sure how I attach an AVI to this message) the menus do not do anything when clicked in the browser (internet explorer) after compiling to a SWF, but work when clicked in insanetools development environment.

That kind of basic functionality (that menus work) is pretty likely to be a requisite for anyone considering whether or not to register your (freeware for non-commercial use) software (assuming some people might still register anyway so they get free upgrades and support etc).

NB: Have a look at http://blender.nl/

They are into game design as well (but not in flash environment). Should have some interesting things for you to see.

Originally posted by Jevan

As you can see in the attached (AVI) movie (inside the zip file), (OK I am not sure how I attach an AVI to this message) the menus do not do anything when clicked in the browser (internet explorer) after compiling to a SWF, but work when clicked in insanetools development environment.
    If you are using the menu builder, be sure to click on the "build menu" button. Otherwise it is not updated.

And I believe that in the unregisterd version any buttons or clicking "anywhere" takes you to the insanetools website (not sure about this one)

I've never had a problem with picture buttons.

Originally posted by blanius
    Originally posted by Jevan

If you are using the menu builder, be sure to click on the "build menu" button. Otherwise it is not updated.

And I believe that in the unregisterd version any buttons or clicking "anywhere" takes you to the insanetools website (not sure about this one)

I've never had a problem with picture buttons.

OK well I wrote to the support email address but they never replied to me. I haven't actually seen anything in the documentation saying that clicking of most buttons is disabled in the unregistered version. Therefore it is probably a bug. Of course if they choose to email me I can send them a copy of the AVI movie (or even a SWF it they ask nicely). But its not likely I'm going to consider the software at present since my evaluation indicates it does not work! , and on top of that, support did not even respond to my bug reports! (unless they are just taking their time about it)

Jevan.

First, it will take some time to get a reply. They are hard at work building the newest version of the 3dfa, but eventually they will reply.

You're best bet for questions is this board.

With that being said;

If you are using the Unregistered version, NO LINK, that includes buttons (they are links) will work and that IS posted.

It's not expensive just register. It's worth it.

Now, as for the menu feature, I have found that it's great for building menues and it's great for making all the changes globally. Meaning if you want to change the colors of all your buttons, it's great, if you want to space the buttons, that's great. The one thing that it is NOT good for is assigning the actual events that take place when a button is clicked.

BUT....
    There is a solution.

When you're on the MENU window page down to the very bottom. There you will see each individual button. Now, go into each button and perform the actions.
    WARNING!!!
    Once you do this DO NOT make changes on the main MENU window. If you do, you will have to make all the individual button assignments all over again.