dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STAR WARS AM I ALONE.

Smile

Hi..
    I have never seen Star Wars or any of the sequels.
    AM I WEIRD...

yes. if the geek world was the norm, we'd call you a geek.

well, I've seen all the films but I have to say that they are pretty crap.

Look on the bright side though, when they are all finished, you can have a huge massive Star Wars marathon, watch all of them in one go - and it will all be new to you! How exciting will that be?

not very - but you can give it a go anyway

- n.

You're not missing much.

I can see why the originals had a big impact. But remember, most of the dudes that still go on about those movies fanatically saw them first when they were about 8 years old. They are just kids' films, and I for one don't reckon they stand up as the masterpieces that some people would suggest. It's just nostalgia.

I beg to differ.

I never saw any of the Star Wars movies till this year.

Having seen them I can say that they are excellent.

Episode 1 is slow, but the originals are top notch.

Lucas is a absolute genius when it comes to directing.

If you haven't seen them, you need too. They are very enjoyable movies.

i dont even know how and where to begin to explain the great importance and influence and role of Star Wars !!!

ill just say that the slave costume is my all time fave outfit

a

Originally posted by Aria
    i'll just say that the slave costume is my all time fave outfit

a
    ok - but what about star wars?

- n.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by mave_the_rave
    Hi..
    I have never seen Star Wars or any of the sequels.
    AM I WEIRD...
    It's not your fault ... you're not alone ... My 9 yr old son hasn't seen them, either

STARWARS

I'm begining to feel not so isolated.

you're missing Yoda...
    umm never mind.

i dont even know how and where to begin to explain the great importance and influence and role of Star Wars !!!

a
    and my dear i bet you'd look amazing it it

Originally posted by vampstko

a
    and my dear i bet you'd look amazing it it
    mmm .. i think I do lol

The stereo hair though is still freaky

a

Av: 3D & Media Developer
    i personally think star wars is crap regardless of how obsessed its fans are. it is basically a ripoff of isaac asimov's theories and lingo (hyperspace, blasters) and george's latest creations are even worse. put bluntly, it is only good because of its royal status. the matrix, or for that matter ANY other film, rivals this sextet of episodes. we need to move on to a new generation of futuristica. star wars is going to celebrate its 25th birthday this year...i think that speaks for itself.

damn it sucks to hear some people dislike starwarz that much. i have been a big fan ever since i can remember and cant get enuf.

i dont know how you could grow up not watching it?
    were you real poor or something?

us russians, my friend, don't grow up poor. we live poor. you don't see much star wars there. but i live here now so i've seen them all except episode 2.

the only good reason to see it is yoda's fighting. everything else, ehhhh.

Say Hello to my little friend. pimpjacksmack's Avatar
    No media within the last 50 years has had new ideas. Rip off, not rip off... there are no more original ideas. Its all in the delivery. Lucas took WAY more from Kurosawa than he ever did from Asimov.

Originally posted by aevium
    the matrix, or for that matter ANY other film, rivals this sextet of episodes. we need to move on to a new generation of futuristica. star wars is going to celebrate its 25th birthday this year...i think that speaks for itself.
    ok - im not exactly part of the generation that grew up watching the trilogy but i have a decent knowledge when it comes to sci-fi film history and when I hear ppl saying the Matrix is all that, i just cringe !

Im my view the Matrix in not that great film. It is a good film, but not the best in the genre which is highly competitive and difficult to break in, still the pretty aggressive advertising campaign that followed its release was good enough to push it into the blockbuster territory.

Some ppl keep going on about the film having an innovative plot. I dont agree .The only people , IMHO that think the plot is innovative are those who haavet read science fiction, or Baudrillard for that matter, still you don't have to go through every s-f , postmodernist book out there to find and notice the similaritiesfor yourself. The notion of "reality" turning out to be nothing more than a VR simulation was explored in Total Recall, and Tad Williams' Otherland series staked a sizeable claim in this area long However, that is not to say that the plot is a rip-off, any more than anybody who has ever written a fantasy tale is ripping off Tolkien. It is simply that the ideas are perhaps not quite as fresh , personally I found the entire plot a mish mash of Baudrillard theories and cyberpunk fiction.

Now when it comes to the effects of this film - its undeniably true that they are great indeed, but I am given cause to wonder if perhaps they haven't overstepped the mark a little. The key to enabling the viewer to believe in the events unfolding on the screen is to allow a certain measure of reality to seep between the cracks.---> See other popular SF films - Films such as Terminator Aliens and Starship Troopers were also set in "alien" environments, presented us with a not so distant dystopia and yet those films enabled us to suspend our disbelief because environments they were set in were still relatively recognisable, and some breathing space was permitted between the periodic assaults on the senses.

The Matrix guys , on the other hand, seemed more intent on not allowing a second of screen time to go by without assaulting the viewer with some sort of cool effect, and in the end it all becomes a little disorientating, and eventually causes the viewer to marvel at the effects at the expense of suspending their disbelief (when everything is unreal, nothing can be real, if that makes sense). Again another direct ref to Baudrillard which by that times gets bit too much
    When it comes to acting - I rest my case - Keanu plays Keanu and thats all there is

The rest of the cast was great but my gawd theres so mych better SF out there B.M (before the Matrix) and after it that i hardly see that film as a ref point

a

Señor member
    I've seen them (not the latest one though) and despite all the hype, I can't say as I was ever impressed with them. For the time the effects were good but I didn't get into them at all!

Originally posted by pimpjacksmack
    No media within the last 50 years has had new ideas. Rip off, not rip off... there are no more original ideas. Its all in the delivery. Lucas took WAY more from Kurosawa than he ever did from Asimov.
    asimov actually borrowed from kurosawa.....so..........ya.