A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] some good anime movies

FK's Official A&A Addict
    i've been bored lately and was hoping to buy a bunch of movies i already looked at the action and animation movies but there are only a few that standout (hehe a few animation movies )

these are

fantasia
    vampire hunter d
    x

any other suggestions? wich of the three is actually really good..?? i don't know anything about x and fantasia seems to be a classic peace of work i could take the special edition wich features both the fantasia of 1940 and 1999

and what about vampire hunter... is it a good movie?

i just noticed that there are only a hand full of (anime)movies that really are worth watching....

i didn't like x too well, so i recommend not to get it. of course i saw it dubbed in theaters, so i'm probably biased against it, but even if i saw it subbed, i don't think it would be worth buying.

can't say for the other ones. haven't seen them.

hmmmm...

wow, it's been a while since last time anybody talked about anime...

what board was this again??

Originally posted by justice strike
    i don't know anything about x and fantasia seems to be a classic peace of work i could take the special edition wich features both the fantasia of 1940 and 1999
    Fantasia is a good choice. The more recent one was a little weak, but the Sepcial edition box set makes up for it with all of the extras - some amazing pre-production sketches, videos, etc.

As far as animation, a few good DVDs I've seen lately are Metropolis, the Iron Giant (a modern-day classic). Green Legend Ran is a very underrated anime DVD with a ton of stuff contained on one DVD.

I'll check my collection and see if there are any more stand-outs.

See - I knew you'd be putting that credit card to good use.

Macross II: Lovers Again
    Macross Plus
    Wrath of the Ninja
    Baoh(i forget if that's the correct spelling)

oh and both of the Slayers movies

i'd agree with CNO The Iron Giant is great, loved that movie... just try and not cry!

Armitage III Dual Matrix is out.. i really liked the first one, and this one is meant to be better, so maybe u wanna check that out?
    apart from that i can only recomend older stuff...

Originally posted by xup878
    i'd agree with CNO The Iron Giant is great, loved that movie... just try and not cry!
    I remember when one of the guys who worked on Iron Giant came to Pratt, and he said they used to go to the screenings, sit in the front row, and turn around at the proper moment to see how manty people in the theater were crying (if you've seen it, you know when I'm talking about).

Of course, two of the anime classics - Ghost in the Shell and Akira (spec. ed.) are worth getting...

Jin Roh is good. Ghost in the Shell is cool to watch because it's got some very still animation like still pictures with only the mouth moving in parts - could almost be done in Flash.

Blood: the Last Vampire has some really nice animation in it. Of course Princess Mononoke - the animation in that still blows me away - actually anything by that director Hayao Miyazaki is good - I've only seen Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Totoro but everyone I know says everything he does is amazing (particularly Porco Rosso and Laputa:Castle in the Sky).

There's also a movie called Grave of Fireflies that is nice to watch - no real action just all dramatic but it's beautiful to look at.

Ummmm....Prince of Egypt has some really nice animation in it, but I admit the songs get kinda tiring after a while so it doesn't have too big of a re-watchable factor. I'm also a big fan of Iron Giant (just when I think I'm not gonna cry the Giant says 'Superman' and it's like Niagra Falls).

I've heard Cowboy Bebop is good but it's like $40 for a half hour episode or something so I haven't seen it. Definitely high on my list of renting DVDs.

Originally posted by Zensho!
    i didn't like x too well, so i recommend not to get it. of course i saw it dubbed in theaters, so i'm probably biased against it, but even if i saw it subbed, i don't think it would be worth buying.

can't say for the other ones. haven't seen them.

hmmmm...

wow, it's been a while since last time anybody talked about anime...

what board was this again??

Me i've just bought the 'Battle of the Planets' DVD set..brings back memories.

Moderator - Anime Curator Naldoman's Avatar
    Heh, heh...Transformers--The Movie Pure metal-mashing mayhem, and just plain fun!

AKIRA --- Still fantastic. Still my #1 favorite anime soundtrack, too.

Lupin III --- Mystery of Cagliostro Castle ( A Miyazaki Hayao film) Supertheif Lupin's best movie, a great action-adventure comedy.

Castle in the Sky Laputa --- If it's available...dang, I NEED THIS ON DVD!!! This movies is everything that Disney's ATLANTIS should have been! Fantastic action, real drama, startling discoveries and a very satisfying conclusion that doesn't pull back. Full-range emotional roller-coaster, and my all-time favorite Miyazaki film.

The Complete Superman Collection produced by Max and Dave Fleischer in the 1940's. 17 Classic animations!!

I recently picked up two multi-disc sets:
    Walt Disney Treasures -- Mickey Mouse in Living Color
    Walt Disney Treasures -- Silly Symphonies

Dozens of full-lenth Disney 'toons from the 30's and 40's when they were making history and innovations in the field.

official system error
    Originally posted by pishkapa
    Jin Roh is good. Ghost in the Shell is cool to watch because it's got some very still animation like still pictures with only the mouth moving in parts - could almost be done in Flash.

Blood: the Last Vampire has some really nice animation in it. Of course Princess Mononoke - the animation in that still blows me away - actually anything by that director Hayao Miyazaki is good - I've only seen Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Totoro but everyone I know says everything he does is amazing (particularly Porco Rosso and Laputa:Castle in the Sky).

There's also a movie called Grave of Fireflies that is nice to watch - no real action just all dramatic but it's beautiful to look at.
    Man, u like the same movies I like!!! And we achieved 4th place together!!! WHASSUP????

Justice, I must suggest all these movies too (ghost in the shell done in flash??? ARE U MAD????) and I must add:
    -FLCL aka FuriKuri it's a cooperation between Gainax (evangelion - nadia - kare kano) and Production IG (Ghost in the shell - jin roh - blood) and that says it all
    Gainax wrote storyboards, plot and character design and production IG made the rest (I maybe wrong but I'm pretty sure it's exactly like this) I won't tell you what is about, u MUST see it.

-Evangelion should I say something?

-Love Hina if u miss maison ikkoku u may love this one, quality animation, fun and love and a great OST made this anime one of my fav ones

-Akira heh... this one too doesn't need presentation

-Hayao Myiazaki father of the anime, every movie he made had its success in japan and I must say that japanese aren't stupid they like what is good!

-Spriggan directed by Katsuhiro Otomo (akira) is a great action movie, with a nice plot and a great manga on his back (I've read it all, it's really nice)

-Blame! let me spend more words on this one. I'm pretty sure no one knows this manga... well someone's going to do an anime soon, I heard 5 short movies for the web will be relased in june, keep your eyes open guys, in this manga the characters doesn't talk (quite never and if they do they say ununderstandable things ) but they do lot of action and I mean -A-ction with a big "A" Oh, it's a claustrophobic sci-fi manga wrote by a mad japanese architect, I let you imagine the backgrounds.

Originally posted by Ctrl+Alt+Del

Man, u like the same movies I like!!! And we achieved 4th place together!!! WHASSUP????

Justice, I must suggest all these movies too (ghost in the shell done in flash??? ARE U MAD????) and I must add:

-Spriggan directed by Katsuhiro Otomo (akira) is a great action movie, with a nice plot and a great manga on his back (I've read it all, it's really nice)
    Must have been separated at birth or something.

I only meant the talking parts in Ghost in the Shell. Take a look at the scene in the elevator with Togusa Kusanagi and Bateau. Or when Kusanagi and Bateau are talking on the boat. There's like 5 minutes or so where nothing moves in the scene except for mouths. If you get a good enough pic, scan it in, trace the bitmap and animate the mouth you could achieve a similar effect. It's my favorite effect in animation used a lot in anime - make a beautiful picture then have the audience stare at it for 5 minutes while you explain the plot.

When you brought up Katsuhiro Otomo I thought of a couple more: Memories and Robot Carnival. Both consist of short anime films put together. The Cannon Fodder section in Memories is my fave. Unfortunately hard to find on DVD. I did manage to find copies of both of these movies in Chinatown here. Depending on how big the city you're living in is, you might be able to find one around town. Definitely worth it.

official system error
    Originally posted by pishkapa

Must have been separated at birth or something.

When you brought up Katsuhiro Otomo I thought of a couple more: Memories and Robot Carnival. Both consist of short anime films put together. The Cannon Fodder section in Memories is my fave. Unfortunately hard to find on DVD. I did manage to find copies of both of these movies in Chinatown here. Depending on how big the city you're living in is, you might be able to find one around town. Definitely worth it.

They did the anime of Memories?????? ARE U KIDDING? Man it's my fav Otomo manga, it also includes the pilot episode that gave the main idea for Akira!!!

So do u know "Blame!" ? Go watch around the web for it!! Check on anipike there's a few sites about it.

Originally posted by Naldoman
    I recently picked up two multi-disc sets:

Dozens of full-lenth Disney 'toons from the 30's and 40's when they were making history and innovations in the field.
    You too? They're great. The Silly Sumphony that takes place in thew windmill was a testbed for a lot of the effects later used in Fantasia.

The Fleischer Superman eps. are great - one of the first truly "big budget" series of animations, and some of the best early attempts at convincing human animation.

I must have been incredibly tired not to have mentioned miyazaki yesterday - if you search around (e-bay is one suggestion), i believe they have a region 2 dvd collection of a bunch of Miyazaki's best work.

nothing better than Evangelion.....

if your looking for series now
    Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are both defientley worth getting... just buy the first DVD of both and you'll have to complete the set
    and yeh evangelion... its just great

oh and Naldo every Lupin III film is great, i got em all on tape..... havent seen the unrealesed Fansub movies yet though (Twilight gemeni, etc) wanna see em

Blood has some fantastic animation in it (the bit where she slices the vamp in bed, that plain rules), but dont know if i'd buy it, its a little short (i won it in a comp)

What about D7 Peacemaker??

FK's Official A&A Addict
    jesus christ... i thought there where only a few worth watching...

personally i liked akira, ghost in the shell and wicked city... they all have an exceptional story line.. blood was a bit to short and told to little of a story to really be worth buying. i think i'm gonna pick up a few fo these movies you 've all suggested.... i'm really uncertain as wheter i should take fantasia or not...

anyhow i'm gonna make a list of movies

Trigun
    Cowboy Bebop
    Lupin III
    Memories
    Robot Carnival
    Spriggan
    FLCL aka FuriKuri
    Evangelion
    Love Hina
    Hayao Myiazaki
    Blame!
    Castle in the Sky Laputa
    The Iron Giant
    Macross II: Lovers Again
    Macross Plus
    Wrath of the Ninja
    Baoh

A suggestion i would make for all that are looking for a good animation is titan A.E. it's a great movie with lot's of twists and turns... (ofcourse ghost in the shell wicked city and akira are all pieces of art.)

sorry wicked city is terrible..... its just hentai...