A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Got talent? So what!

resolved

Following a couple of the current threads in the Boardroom (one about a 14 year old kid who wants to start a business and another regarding whether to include adult sites in your portfolio). There seems to be a prevalent (youthful) misconception that talent is the key to success in design/development. This is most certainly not the case. In this industry, talent is assumed. Only the lack of talent has any bearing on whether you get the job/contract. It doesn't matter if you are the Mozart of Flash, if you're 14 y.o., no legitimate business will hire you. If there are a handful of candidates on the short-list for a job, and one has an adult site in their portfolio, the list is now one candidate shorter.

Bottom line, it's not so much about the positives, but rather the lack of negatives.

President and CEO of nothing.

I guess the glass is half empty for Gweedo...

Originally posted by gweedo
    There seems to be a prevalent (youthful) misconception that talent is the key to success in design/development. This is most certainly not the case. In this industry, talent is assumed. Only the lack of talent has any bearing on whether you get the job/contract......Bottom line, it's not so much about the positives, but rather the lack of negatives.
    A very good comment regarding talent and its place in the industry but your approach seems very pessimistic (sp?) to me. I think for a job like web designing a client would be far more receiving of a off the wall designer that made an amazing site because they don't really have to deal with them that much and they as a person don't represent the company. So what if they are a chain smoker and live in flannel lounge pants with yellow teeth and 1960's hair... If it gets to the point where I'm hiring someone and I'm looking for the best of the worst, well that's just more trouble than it's worth.

.aaroncrunchie

Hmmm... I'm 17, have talent, and seems to be raking in business.

Re: I guess the glass is half empty for Gweedo...

Originally posted by crunchDesign
    So what if they are a chain smoker and live in flannel lounge pants with yellow teeth and 1960's hair...
    I have yellow teeth and 60's hair... or is it yellow hair and 60's teeth?

Thankfully, I work from my home office.

I wasn't always a pessimist. It's just that now, so many of my talented friends are out of work. Folks with degrees, and years of experience with Fortune 100 companies, all beatin' the streets (asking me to help them find gigs).

So, though I would contend that my glass is half-full, theirs is arguably 3/4 empty.

Also, Gloomycus, you are indeed talented (and only 17).
    You're definitely ahead of the game, and I hope your success continues. Particularly, in a few years when you have to pay rent, insurance, utilities, food, student loans, etc., 'cuz that's when it really counts.

Best of luck to all (14 y.o., et al).

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I agree with gweedo, freelancing in this business is 90% business contacts and communication, and 10% design skill. Connecting with the head of marketing in a large corp. or the owner of a small business(who had to scrape and claw and suffer to stay in business) is pretty hard when you have the life experience and age of a 14 year old. You just don't have enough invested. They are thinking, you gotta NEED money and work for more than a pair of jeans at Abercrombie and Fitch. It's too easy for a 14 year old to flake out. There is essentially no recourse against a 14 year old if that flake out or taking the day off to play quake at your buddies lan party, results in loss of business and a tarnished image for said company. If I was a business owner looking to hire a designer, and if your 14 and not of at least the same caliber as Gloomygus, i'd have to say you better go flip burgers at Micky D's and see me agian when your 18+.

it's a bit weird but everybody is always equating web design with freelancing - there is also a large corporate side to it and talent definitely does count in that arena, especially since your job is usually much tighter defined.

The design agency I'm working for has dedicated programmers, dedicated HTML programmers and dedicated graphic designers - so your skills in specific areas are immensely important.

- n.

Yeah, you're right emenem. There are two totally different aspects of it. I'm lucky enough to be inside both, design manager at a firm and freelance designer at home. It gives me the steady income i need to pay all my bills and it gives me the freedom to expand myself on my own time. Although i'm 22 and not 17, I think age should really be irrelevant in this kind of work, as long as the person has the mental maturity required.

FK's Official Cricket Eater. ViperGeckoFreak's Avatar
    i dont think age is so irrelevant, but knowledge has alot to do with it too. i have talked to kids (14-15) and there like, "cool site, i noticed we are about the same age etc etc" and then "could you comment on my site? i want it to look good so i can get business". all of these ppl i talk to have no idea that "freelancing" is more than knowing how to code/design. like other ppl said here its like 10%..which i think is true, thats why im eatin up as much business info as i can

Definately... If you want to freelance you HAVE to know the business end of things. You won't make it on your skills alone. That's why there are so many people going around looking for projects and can't find them because they focus all their time on honing their design skills and not enough on their business skills.

Originally posted by [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-]
    If you want to freelance you HAVE to know the business end of things. You won't make it on your skills alone.
    This is also true (especially) in the corporate world. In addition to the prerequisite skillset, you must be able to take (and possibly give) direction, communicate your ideas effectively (and diplomatically), work well with others particularly when under pressure, have a solid understanding of what your company does, the industry you're in and be a positive reflection of your employer.

All the talent in the world won't save you from significant failings in these other areas.

Note: I recently interviewed a very talented programmer for a dev position with a small design firm. He had all the skills we were looking for, but was argumentative and defensive. He was not considered for the position, despite being one of the most talented candidates.

Age and appearance

I am a 24 year-old that looks 17 and am currently earning my MCSE and dabbing in web design. What I've found so far is that this business is just that, BUSINESS. Owners, executives, etc. seem to prefer stability and a professional appearance completely over skills. So, it's my opinion that if you are looking for a full-time position as a designer, you need the age, look, and experience. (Oh, and some skills will help.) If you are just looking to freelance and sell a site design or two, you can have the "less stable" look like I do. I prefer baggy clothes and t-shirts, but am currently converting to khakis and Polos. Anyway, that's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Originally posted by serpent star
    Gloomygus
    gloomyCus!!!

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Originally posted by Gloomycus
    Originally posted by serpent star
    Gloomygus
    gloomyCus!!!
    SORRY!!!