A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash 6 Player is slower!

yeah,

that's true guys. specially when for those movies which are done in flash 5 & played on flash 6 player. the difference is so much visible & unfortunate. i hope, Macromedia comes out with some life on this problem.

Ravi Tandon

RealitySlip
    Have any of you guys told Macromedia that you're experiencing this? Maybe if they realize its more than just two or three of us that want to see this issue fixed they'll take it more seriously. I don't plan on using Flash MX till its resolved, not to protest to Macromedia but simply because I can't produce content thats not going to playback correctly on all computers. This isnt an issue of who's got the faster processor, because I can see the playback difference on a 2 Ghz computer with 512 megs of ram...with the flash 6 player it playsback slower than the flash 5 player.

In the meantime I've found that if you produce flash 5 movies at 25 fps they playback almost the same in the flash 6 player. So try to keep your framerates at 25 for now.

I sympathise with this problem, but it isnt really a clear cut case.

As any 'serious' developer will know, there are so many factors governing playback speed that to simply say player V.6 runs slower in IE and therefor should not be developed for is to miss the point.

I wont be patronsing and talk about processor speeds, or that the MAC player runs significantly slower, we all knows this...... the point is that as developers we have to tread on eggshells anyway because invariably we tend to use high-end machines to develop for an audience that may well be using older technology or have multiple browser windows running other flash content.

The painfull truth is that in only a few circumstances can we develop animations, tools or other content that pushes the flash performance envelope, it breaks my heart, but we have to be professional.

MX Man: i am having the same problem too.. it runs fine on a standalone player.. i tried my movie with the browser and the standalone player.. both ver 6.0.. the browser version looks slower..

anyway, updated it into MX Fla and re-export the SWF, doesn't seems to work.. this got nothing to do with computer specification for sure..

however, this is the only part that i don't like about the new Flash MX updates.

hey finally someone else.. lol

the first thing i noticed when i got flash mx and flash player 6 is that all my flash 5 movies were out of synch.

well i thought it was because i didnt synch it proper, but as i know now its the bloody flash player.. lol

thank u guys for having this discussion... it IS one of the most serious issues in flash i think.
    what good is flash if u cant publish a movie that every browser/plattform can view the same way.

but there are guys who seem to have a solution for that.
    e.g. http://www.derbauer.de
    view it with i.e. / nn all versions all players... and it always looks great..
    i just wonder how hes doing that..

greets blaer

You can publish it to play under flash 5 player, instead of 6. So if you think 5 plays your swf's better publish it to 5 instead of 6. That will fix your dilemma.

I have been running to a similar issue that coincides with the flash plugin player used in Internet explorer is slower than the standalone player or even better Netscape Navigator Player. Why ......never mind...how does 2 of the same version of the flash player, 6.0.47.0 play differently just because of the different browsers. I have read more than a few posts and am wondering if it has something to do with the operating system that is running. Could anyone having this same type of problem shed some light on the operating system they are using. I have currently using Windows 2000.

RealitySlip
    Did you read all the posts above? The problem is Active X in Internet Explorer browsers. It works fine in netscape, fine on macintoshes (even IE on the mac, because mac doesnt have active x), but it performs quite a lot slower in IE on a pc.

Check these two posts from the ultrashock forums where the issue has been discussed a little more in detail:

http://forums.ultrashock.com/forums/...threadid=11625

http://forums.ultrashock.com/forums/...threadid=12601

Don't create huge Flash files with graphics flying all over the place. Place a little video in the middle and import some pictures on the fly next to it depending on what happens in the video.

Try working with database driven content in Flash 5

RealitySlip
    The slowdown is regardless of whats on screen. You can have a totally blank movie and it will still playback slower on a pc with internet explorer flash player 6 than flash 5.

Has anyone downloaded the latest flash beta version???? I have tried this and still the problem occurs, still a fraction slower, which affects my movie. Has anyone else experienced the same thing???