A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Opinions please?

Hi

I am in the process of creating an Intranet for the company I work for. I know exactly what I want it to look like etc. What I am not sure about is whether to create the whole thing in Flash, use some Flash elements within html or just make the whole thing in html.

I want to use Flash as it will enable me to make the site look a lot better and it will be more interactive etc, plus I don't really have the time right now to learn javascript.

So, my question is FLASH or HTML and why? what are the pros and cons of having a 100% Flash Intranet (Flashplayer is not an issue) and what are the pros and cons of having an html Intranet.

The company is not huge, around 250 people. Anyone out there created an Intranet recently on the same scale?

Your views are VERY much appreciated.

What do you want it to do? If you can't decide whether to use flash or HTML then it probably means that you can't think of a specific reason to use flash therefore you should build it in HTML. Never look for a reason to use flash - use Flash only when the Job requires it.

I created an intranet for my last employer, about 2500 users. I used HTML for ease of amending when I left. Ther was no real need for flash.

Probably HTML with flash enhancment would be the best bet. . .

I've never had to work on an intranet, but for proffessional use that sounds the best to me. . .

Originally posted by loydall
    What do you want it to do? If you can't decide whether to use flash or HTML then it probably means that you can't think of a specific reason to use flash therefore you should build it in HTML. Never look for a reason to use flash - use Flash only when the Job requires it.
    good point.

HTML, Flash, MySQL/Access, PHP/ASP.

The main reason I want to use Flash is really a bit of a story.

Last year my company launched their new website, it cost over £250,000, probably getting on for £500,000. Personally I do not think it was worth it, but I was on maternity leave at the time.

When I came back I had a meeting with my boss and basically said..."I don't like what I am doing now, I can do this, this and this and I want you to pay me this much for doing it" and he agreed....I got exactly what I asked for, a job I love for the wages I asked for.

So what I now want to do is make an Intranet that kicks arse on the website so that my bosses say "S**t, why did we pay X amount when we could have got her to do it, and do it better"

Maybe it doesn't seem a great reason to you guys but there are also underlying reasons that I don't want to go into basically because it would take too long. But let's just say, since I got this new position and people have seen what I can do, a few colleagues have been made to look very stupid!

what does the company do ? theres no point in doing a super jazzy site if you sell widgets. You need to tailor any site to your market audience and (unffortunately) have your creativity stifled by corporate image.

Originally posted by swampy
    what does the company do ? theres no point in doing a super jazzy site if you sell widgets. You need to tailor any site to your market audience and (unffortunately) have your creativity stifled by corporate image.
    I would rather not say what my company does, but we don't sell widgets!!! We provide a service that is used by many large multinational companies with offices in London.

Thank you very much for your imput, I will keep thinking about it and hopefully at some point come to a decision.

I made an intranet for my company,
    and I did the menus in flash and the actual content in html.
    Why? If you have a lot of content that people are gonna print, html is easy!
    Flash menus give the whole thing a modern tough.
    So it all depends on whats on you site...

Originally posted by eastb

Thank you, I think I agree. I have already created the menu in Flash and some background images in PS. I suppose if the graphics and menu are really slick then it doesn't need flashy animation.

Thanks guys, very helpful as usual

Originally posted by eastb

also give people the option to cut and paste into word and such for reports / presentations etc.

Originally posted by swampy
    also give people the option to cut and paste into word and such for reports / presentations etc.
    That's true, I didn't think of that. I am going to have some mail forms so I might do those in flash to get a better effect.

I did an intranet site with director once... it kicked arse!

director is much easier because you dont have to use 4 programing languages to get your finished product..

there's a program called datagrip that interfaces director with an access database, no odbc connection to worry about, you just point it to the right place in lingo and your connected.

You could publish it as a swf and people could view it through the browser.... but i'd just create an app and make shortcuts on everyones desktop

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Originally posted by Jessica Rabbit

I want to use Flash as it will enable me to make the site look a lot better and it will be more interactive etc, plus I don't really have the time right now to learn javascript.
    using company time and projects to boost your portfolio.. shame shame shame .

If you know actionscript, you pretty much know javascript.