A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: phantom movie clips found in fla?!

Exclamation

okay guys, I give up! Where are they?

In trying to analyse all those very helpful fla downloads something troubles me. On tell target commands there are often, in their little box, movie clips that can be targeted (at least I assume they are normal mc's because they have the same symbol). However, as far as I can see these mc's don't exist! Where are they? I have searched and searched and there is not a mc, graphic, button, frame label, instant name or anything else that has that name.

A good example is that tutorial on scroll bars, currently on the home page of (dare I say it?) flashzone.com. I think it's scroll_ball in that case that I cannot find.

Therefore I can not understand the actionscript. Please help!

Cheers
    Wiggy

im looking at that one right now. whoever created it did a poor job of planning the layer names so that someone else could understand it easily. the only thing im having trouble finding is what target its telling in the scrolling_logic mc, since its just referencing it as "../". theres a mc in the second frame of the ball graphic if that helps.

------------------
    la'dsasha
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00001097.swf" quality=high WIDTH=250 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Thumbs up

I found it! I just didn't look thouroughly enough. 'scroll_ball' is the instant name of the mc 'ball' on the main timeline.

Sasha, search for '../' in flash help and it explains. It targets the movie/mc that is up one level from where the mc is that it is in. (Note that script in that help page refers to script in the previous help page).

wiggy