A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Search results differents using IE or Netscape (from Flash, php MySql)

Search results differents using IE or Netscape (from Flash, php MySql)

Hi there!

An other killing problem.

I have a MySql Db, and we are using php.

Here is the problem:
    When We make a search from flash thru the Db, for ex.: by name, the results are differents from differents browsers.

Let's say I search for Spa management, the results in IE will give the companies with "Spa management" in their names (2 companies) THIS IS WHAT I WANT

The same search from Netscape will give all the companies with "Spa' in their names (466 Co.)
    To have the same result from Netscape that the one I have from IE I must Ask Spa+management

Maybe somebody can help?

This is what I have on the search button:
    on (release) {
    getURL ("http://www.web-x-tra.net/spa/main.php?tab=browse&name=" add _root.name add "&name_conj", "_self");
    }

You can test it at: http://www.web-x-tra.net
    And please can you explain Why?

Hi,

what about urlencoding the variable on the way to the server
    (flash calls this function escape() in case you want to look it up in the manual)
    It will replace spaces by + signs and a couple other characters (& % and foreign chars) by certain %xx sequences
    Not that I am suggesting to use GET or POST, but they would automatically apply urlencoding to your vars

Musicman

Originally posted by Musicman
    Hi,

what about urlencoding the variable on the way to the server
    (flash calls this function escape() in case you want to look it up in the manual)
    It will replace spaces by + signs and a couple other characters (& % and foreign chars) by certain %xx sequences
    Not that I am suggesting to use GET or POST, but they would automatically apply urlencoding to your vars

Musicman
    Hi Musicman
    I went in the help file to see the escape function, it really seems to be what I need.
    But I didn't see how to use it, I tried a few things but nothing happend.
    Can you tell me why IE doesn't need this function and Netscape needs it? And please can you tell me how to use it in my situation?

thanks for helping

Hi,

on (release) {
    getURL ("http://www.web-x-tra.net/spa/main.php?tab=browse&name=" + escape(_root.name) + "&name_conj", "_self");
    }

IE vs. others: writing of url's with funny characters is governed by certain internet standards. Now, during the browser war, Microsoft did a few extensions to capture common mistakes, so that the average user would just see that their browser was working fine but the other one wasn't.

Musicman

Hey Musicman,

You'r an Ace and you made day!

It works perfectly, and thanks for the way you made it, now I understand how it works

Thanks again for your time

MM/SAG

I think I will put a special thanks to Flash Kit in one of the pages.