dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's ever taken the SAT/SAT II?

I'm taking them on Sunday at 8 AM (EST). I'm taking the Biology E/M test, and not doing that great on practice tests. On my last diagnostic test of 95 questions, I scored a 600 out of a possible 800. Anyone who's taken them have any tips for me? General tips on SAT/SAT II exams are nice, Biology test tips are better.

For those who don't know what these are, they are big exams (typically 80 multiple choice questions) on various subjects (including Biology, Math, etc.), which colleges/universities look at to influence their decisions on accepting you or not. So if anyone has taken similar tests, any advice would be appreciated.

You (and I) have until Sunday, June 2, 7:30 AM (EST, I'm in NJ) to help me out...hope you can.

I've never taken them but I would suggest taking your time!

how long do you have to complete it??

The test is 80 multiple choice questions in different "styles", which you have 1 (one) hour to take. The first 60 are general biology questions; then you choose one of two options for the last 20 (as you take the test). You can choose the "E" or "M" option. "E" is for ecology/evolution, and "M" is for molecular. You do one of those two sets of 20 for a total of 80, once again, with an hour only, so you don't have time to really look at each set, you pretty much have to have your mind made up going into the test.

Wow! that sounds difficult!

good luck with it!

Say Hello to my little friend. pimpjacksmack's Avatar
    I took the SAT and scored pretty well. My biggest motivation was the reward I'd get if I scored well. The higher the score, the more my college would take off of tuition. Therefore the less my parents had to pay. They were going to pay for it anyway so they said the better I did, the better a gift I would get. I missed a new Camaro by 1 freaking point. I got a 486 PC instead. Suck.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

I don't know hockyfan ... Tests like these - either you know it - or you don't ... just have a little faith in your brain power.

Good luck Saturday
    And as a side note: You can quit with the Belfour cracks ~ he's free agent 7/1

With those traditional large multiple choice tests, go with your instinct. There's usually two obviously wrong answers, one right answer, and one that looks just right enough to confuse you. Usually your first thoughts are correct (I found every time I thought too hard about a question I put the wrong one in... and you never have time for thinking anyway).

One thing that worked well for me (time wise) was to go through and do every question in order, just guess if you don't know, if I wasn't sure about a question I'd mark the number down on a separate piece of paper so I could come back to it if I had time.

This is all just from personal experience... everyone thinks differently.

Best of luck with it all.

good luck! my only advice is to not freak yourself out over doing really well - great test scores aren't the only thing you'll need up ahead...

Originally posted by eggler
    With those traditional large multiple choice tests, go with your instinct. There's usually two obviously wrong answers, one right answer, and one that looks just right enough to confuse you. Usually your first thoughts are correct (I found every time I thought too hard about a question I put the wrong one in... and you never have time for thinking anyway).

One thing that worked well for me (time wise) was to go through and do every question in order, just guess if you don't know, if I wasn't sure about a question I'd mark the number down on a separate piece of paper so I could come back to it if I had time.

This is all just from personal experience... everyone thinks differently.

Best of luck with it all.

Thanks [everyone] for the tips, and eggler, I know what you mean; so many times I've "overthought" a question, and my initial answer was right..from now on I just have to go with my first answer.

And Lannie--and everyone else, I just took another practice test for the E option (with 80 questions, as opposed to the 95 diagnostic) and I got a 700! I'm getting the hang of it.

and just for Lannie--first, the test is on sunday
    Next, so help me..if the Rangers pick up Belfour..... I don't want the Stars' old trash.....

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by hockyfan
    and just for Lannie--first, the test is on sunday

Are you sure? <scrolls to original post ... > Oh ... uhhh - whoops

Next, so help me..if the Rangers pick up Belfour.....
    I will laugh my ass off ...

Is this part of the SAT II? I took the SAT I and didn't have a seperate Biology section. I did take the Bio AP test though. That was a pain in the ass. Try a 3 hour test to brighten your day. But hey, it did give me 9 units in college so I'd say it was worth it.

My best advice is to sit down with your notes and text and just look over the stuff you've learned. If there's something you're confident about, just glance over it. If you're having trouble remembering, bust out some note cards and write the terms out to test yourself.

My last bit of advice, don't spend your time on Flashkit when you should be studying. And on that note, I'm off to study for my chem test.

Caplomatt--
    thanks for the tips man, I took an 80 question "E" option practice test (the closest i'll get to the real thing) and got a 700..which I'd be happy with on the real exam.

And Lannie--
    If you laugh it won't bother me, because the pain I'll already feel for replacing a nice goalie like Richter for some crazy drunk ( sorry, couldn't resist) will outweigh the insult of you laughing at me.

I'm sure glad Canada doesn't have SAT's. Makes things SO much easier. Good luck on yours btw.

best exam tips i know:
    - stay calm
    - don't cheat (it doesn't work and just makes you feel bad, even worse if you still fail)
    - read the question twice before answering it
    - timing is key, try to go for a minute per question.
    - don't be scared to miss a question out; take a note of the question number and go back to it at the end.
    - write all your working down (if you can). i got an A in a maths test but only actually got two right answers because i had almost all the right working in every question.
    - when your finished, read over you paper until your time runs out, one stupid mistake can make the difference between grades (i don't know go you get grades in these tests or is it just marks?)

that's the advice i follow, i'm doing my higher exams just now. only two to go - woohoo!! anyway, best of luck to you.

Retired *********
    humm...SAT's.. yummm

Originally posted by Dowenger
    humm...SAT's.. yummm
    So can you give some advice?

And jgo-

Its an 80 questions multiple choice test, the highest score being 800, and its better to skip a question than get it wrong..kinda confusing. The grades affect colleges choices on accepting you. The higher the grade, the greater your chance.

I kicked the SAT's ass, so here's the advice I can give you...

Relax...it's only a test...and you can take it again.

Don't stay up all night studying...maybe brush up a bit on your math, but reading the dictionary won't help you.

Take your time, and any questions that are totally foreign to you, leave blank.

Finally, one way to do really well on the verbal section is to read. A lot. Read magazines, books, video game manuals, whatever...anything to build up your vocab.

Good Luck!

Chris

I'll take as much time as I have, which is only an hour; and I'm planning on going to sleep early Satuday night

Thanks for the tips everyone, I really appreciate them

good luck man. I could be taking the SAT IIs tomorrow but i didnt feel like signing up for them. I did well enough on my SATs i figured i wouldnt push it (though some colleges require SAT II's, i just dont care)

Well guys, this is it, I studied a lot today, but as per the advice of Kaplan's Review book, I'm taking it easy tonight and turning in about 10:30-11:00...wish me luck