A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: like it?

http://www.weblynx.myweb.nl

I did some restyling: changed the colors, put in a backgroundimage and changed the font used in the menu.

Please tell me what you think.

Cheers, Flashmatazz

I didn't see your original design, but I like the colours you use on this--the grey and red is cool and not something you see used effectively very often.

As far as the font goes, I'm not a fan of using all-caps very much, as letter shapes are not easily identifiable and overall readability is reduced. And lower-case or a combination of upper/lower-case just looks more interesting, especially with words that contain a lot of letters that extend above or below the line. 'Photography' is a word that has a fantastic letter-shape; 'PHOTOGRAPHY' is a lot less interesting.

And I like the vectorized lynx image--smart way to keep your file size down allow for highly-expandable images.

#

-loads nice and fast, good color scheme and I really like the composition with the angles to frame your content.
    You could take it one step further and not have the border
    of the flash movie and let it all go wild and even more original.
    keep up the good work

very nice

Hi there

really like the enter page intro ...

the background effect on the menu buttons is a little slow for me - Ive got average pc etc etc.
    I like the boldness of the screen - It's simple and effective
    thought the menu is too simple and slow - good idea tho', needs some tuning up!

The black text gets lost on the dark red background

The sound control is good - like the volume and balance controls!!!
    Loops get annoying ... and fast! especially the 2nd one which sounds like something from a 1980s arcade game - I really like the concept of it all tho' just not into the tunes

Anyway, the BIG CAT image and effex are great!

Cheers and good luck
    G
    ps could you take a look at my post
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=319785

Thanks for the comments!

Is the black text really that hard to read? At first I had white text, but I thought that black made it a bit more sharp. Hmm, well I'll see if I can come up a better combination of colours...

Do other people agree with Octothorp about the all-caps font used in the menu?

Glasjazz, I was just wondering: if you say the menu is too simple and slow what exactly do you mean by that? And can you maybe give me a suggestion about what I can do to make it better?

Thanks.

nice site. Orignal colour scheme, a few things i would change are:
    1) The black text on the background, it may not be hard to read in the dark but in sunlight it is quite impossible.
    2)Try to make a simple background, the one you have is very plain, experiment in photoshop.

Other than that i think its very nice. I love your scroller in "about" I like the gallery also. Keep up the good work.

Mark

http://mm.webstardesigns.com

Hi there,

Not sure how you've put the menu together

It seems a little jumpy, perhaps too slow

E.G.
    Starting with just moving my mouse from underneath the buttons to on top -
    There seems like a V small delay before the clip shoots out from the left - Same with when I rollout of the button, there is a short delay before it shoots back off ...

I found that it could look a little messy at times when I concentrated on what was going on
    E.G.
    When my mouse is over 'sites', then I move onto 'photography', the background rectangle shoots onto the 'contact' button before moving onto photography

Same with when I have my mouse over the 'photography' button, and move to the right onto 'sites' - The orange rectangle first shrinks to the left, then shoots over to the right

When moving from photography, onto 'about', the rectangle firstly changes size, then moves accross ...

ALSO, say I move staight onto the contact button - As the orange rectangle shoots accross from the left, It is fading in and out - as opposed to only beinging to fade in/out after it has arrived ontop of the button.

There are all areas where I'd look to improve ... Not sure how you've set it up. One of my sites has a similar ish style menu type effect going on - check my portfolio site and the 2nd website (amdc creative) - It was just an idea I had for a menu bar and will be tuning it up as i go along - Its done with actionscript - notice how fast the background rectangle shoots accross - Will modify it all in good time.

Anyway, hope some of that helps
    Cheers again
    G
    portfolio site
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=319785

Thanks for the explanation Glasjazz,

I think I see what you mean. What I've done is give the slider an x-position offsidce the movie. When rolling over a button the slider moves to the x-position of that particular button.
    Maybe it gets a bit messy because the buttons aren't perfectly aligned, meaning there is a small gap between each button. When moving slowly from one button to the other, the slider therefore shoots back to it's original x-pos to the left of the movie. I'll just have to align the buttons so the gap doesn't exist anymore.

The reason I also made the slider change size is because 'photography' takes up a lot more space than for example 'about'. If I had to make each menu-item the same width I had to adapt every item to the one with the largest width, something I didn't want to.
    Maybe I should also make the change in width gradual?

hey flashmatazz, thanks for checking out my site. i checked yours out, and im pretty impressed, esp with your logo/intro animation, pretty sweet.

yeah, i think if you made the change in width gradual, itd make it look smoother

i really like the colors and the angles of all the lines. simple, but dynamic.

glasjazz is right, the second loop sounds like cheesy arcade music! i really like the 4th loop though, and they load fast on my computer (dsl), so even if i got sick of one, i still had 6 more to choose from.

one thing though, you should have the 'about' text scroll back to the top when you go to another section, because if you go back to the 'about' section, the scrollbar is in the same place you left it. does that make sense?

Hi again,

I really like the improvements to the menu bar.

Already its a hell of a lot more smoother lookin'.

a couple of picky things ...

when over sites, the background bar doesnt fit the word, and there is extra space to the right of the button - this may be intentional, but if it is, then Id keep the length of space the same on all buttons - just seems to stick out a little more on sites than on about - just opinion!

Well done for making the improvements, its helped your site!

any way of making the whole menu system run faster?

Cheers again
    G
    PS
    I really like your images!

Thanks again for checking Glasjazz.

After checking the AS that changes the width of the slider I figured out I made a typo: indeed the slider was 10 pixels wider when on Contacts compared to the other buttons. I hadn't seen that myself, very keen eyes you have!

As for the menu system running faster: I guess I would have to change the framerate of the movie. It's now at 20 fps. Maybe I should change it to 25 or so, I'll see what I can do.

And the images: I was thinking of making a link in the textfield containing the short description of the photo to a 1280*1024 image to open up in a separate window. Or maybe even 1600*1200, so there is the possibility to set the pic as wallpaper.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it.

looks nice..i like the angles..a place to show thumbnails of your sites would be good.

I really like that- the rollovers were not too smooth though- not sure if thats me or the site

Also maybe the images - the space where they open after you click the thumbnails- it would look cool if that rotated in some way to create a transition- just a thought