A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Screwy problem...

I've ran into a very weird and screwy problem. I am using different "views" on this particular page, and in 1 of the views, it has "formatted text" in it. However, when I adjust the width and height of the formatted text, the background of it gets very wack, never seen anything like it. Anyone know the problem?

I'll show you a screenshot of what I mean, right now my web server is down for today, I'll post it tomorrow.

Are you scaling the text, or resizing it using the single point tool?

I haven't ever seen anything like it, but it looks like a scaling issue.

-Jason

cut and paste

Originally posted by zoranvedek
    Are you scaling the text, or resizing it using the single point tool?

I haven't ever seen anything like it, but it looks like a scaling issue.

-Jason
    I have! Only when I've used cut and paste.. Solution is to close/save. reboot reopen should take care of it. Been meaning to send this to support but it's been a rare thing.

It only happens when I have the formatted text in a "view" with another object. Here's another example...

http://sso.0catch.com/Flashproblem2.JPG

...I don't understand, this makes it extremely difficult for me to make a site, since parts of it use "views" with more then 1 object.

Originally posted by Wheeljack
    It only happens when I have the formatted text in a "view" with another object. Here's another example...

http://sso.0catch.com/Flashproblem2.JPG

...I don't understand, this makes it extremely difficult for me to make a site, since parts of it use "views" with more then 1 object.
    Sorry I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you are doing and what the problem is. If you want you can send me the movie file to look at. But be sure you send a detailed message to support as well and include your movie file to them.....

I'll try to give a more detailed explanation.

You know in the Element category, where you can pick formatted text, title text, explosion animation and etc? Well there is a object in there called "Choose between views".

I'm using one of those for this specific section of my Flash movie site. I have different "views" inside that object. So when I click on different links, certain objects will disappear, and new ones will appear. Understand what I'm saying?

Anyways, I have a "formatted text" object and a picture file both in a same "view". When I try to adjust the height and width of the Formatted Text, it drags the Picture, which is in the same view, along with it. The background gets disorted whenever I stretch the formatted text over it. http://sso.0catch.com/Flashproblem2.JPG

As you can see in the picture, the background looks a little weird when I stretch my formatted text. I can't provide a movie right now, but if you still need to see it through a movie, then I will later. I have a picture though you can check out.

Try this,

First make sure you are not scaling anything(you don't want to be scaling, but moving points). Then make sure you have only text box selected and not the entire view(if you click on it in the movie you're changing the entire view), select the text from element list inside the chooser, and use the "single point" tool to change its size.

If you want to check before hand, open up the "position" dialog in each element and check their scales, if both the text and the background image are at 1 for x and 1 for y, then check your chooser, and if it's scaled then thats where the problem lies.

I had a similiar problem, with objects changing size once, I had scaled both the chooser and the items in it(3dfa did not like this). It looked nothing like what you have, but I bet that's what is going on.

-Jason

Ok

Ok I see now,,,,, What Jason says is it. I'm betting you are just getting the wrong point.... I've done it more than once..... Fix it with the Scale as Jason suggests.

Ok thanks, I'll try it out ASAP.

I don't know where half the stuff you just said were lol. But I check both of the position points, and they are different, and whats scaling?

I'm new at this area of Flash.

Go here:

http://www.mofosoft.com/help/help_elements.html

Scroll down to very bottom of the page, to where it talks about element has properties, there is a diagram of the position menu there. Thats the menu you are looking for. Pay attention to the 'scale' area in your chooer, image, and text. All of your elements(text , chooser, image) should be set at 1 to 1.

The single point tool is on the side bar menu, first thing at the top, use it instead of the 'scale' tool(also in the side bar menu, either 3rd or 4th down, just under the 'move' tool), again select your item from inside the choosers element list or you will be changing the size of the chooser(and everything in it) and not the text itself .

-Jason

Aaahhh, now I see. Thanks man, .