dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Roll overs and movies

Greetings All,

This is probably a newbie question to most of you, but it is proving an interesting problem to me Also the post is kind of long, but I wanted to explain clearly what I'm doing :-) Lol

Basically I have a setup that I imagine is common in flash. I have images that I have imported that I want to give roll over actions to, and I want those actions to be motion tweens So let me tell you what I've done, and then it would be awesome if more experienced flash developers could suggest a better way

Step 1: I made each image a movie symbol. So for example I have cone, cube and and sphere.

Step 2: Then I created a second movie symbol called name _animate, eg cone_animate, cube_animate and sphere_animate. Each of these movies has 20 frames, 10 frames for each of the motion tween's. I then have stop actions at frames 1, 10 and 20. The two motion animations are simply the shape moving closer to the "centre" and back again.

Step 3: I copied my _animate movies into the main flash page (calling them "shape_obj") and create a transparent button over each of my movies. Then I have the following action script:

on (rollOver, rollOut) {
    tellTarget ("cube_obj") {
    play ();
    }
    }

So when I roll over the movie will play the first animation (moving into the centre) and the on roll out the second animation (moving back to original position).

Only problem here is I found that if I move the mouse too fast the movie gets stuck half way. So I added this to the script:

// Stop all other movies
    on (rollOut) {
    tellTarget ("sphere_obj") { gotoAndStop (1); }
    tellTarget ("cone_obj") { gotoAndStop (1); }
    }
    }

And this works okay, however it is still possible to get collisions which doesn't look professional and these collision's last until you rollout of another button :-(( I also tried putting the movies inside the button, but this doesn't work.

So I am left with a movie which works okay, but if users get excited and move around the mouse too fast the end up seeing shape's collide, at least for a little while :'-(

I was hoping that somebody had come up against this problem and could suggest a better approach. I would love to hear about this, thanks heaps!

Awesome,
    Zitan.

newayblue.com
    the set up that you have used is great, making the separate movies and then making the buttons to target them.

I have found the most effective way to get the buttons to function well is:

on (rollOver) {
    _root.cube_obj.gotoAndPlay (2);
    }

on (rollOut) {
    _root.cube_obj.gotoAndPlay (11);
    }

then take the stop script out of frame 20 so the movie just goes back and stops at 1.

let me know how you get on.