dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sound testing in Flash MX -- changes in file size?!

Hi!
    I was just testing around the dynamic sound loading capabilites of flash mx, The differnece in the file size (both fla and swf ) is remarkable more than 10 times!!
    I started out by loading in mp3 sound dynamically by using loadSound function. noted the file sizes.
    Then I did it the usual way, imported the mp3 file into the movie, then put in a layer and played it.
    noted the file size.
    Now I wanted to take the sound file off from my movie back to the dynamic loading thing.
    I deleted the sound file from the library and the movie itself, now comes the baffling part -----
    The file size changed just by a few kbs..though when I put in the sound file it increased by a multiple of 10!
    Can anyone please help me solve this? why can't I go back to the original file size by taking out the mp3.

I really need to get this thing sorted out!
    Thanks a ton!
    -Mav

Use a Save As with a different name(don't Save As over the old...won't fix .fla size)...or if the .swf size is a problem too copy all frames into a new .fla and re-publish it...it should go back to a smaller size if that is indeed the case you are experiencing.

Thanks! I also figured that out, but I can't see a reason why the fla file size should be big despite removing the sound from the movie and the library??!
    -Mav

Originally posted by maven5
    Thanks! I also figured that out, but I can't see a reason why the fla file size should be big despite removing the sound from the movie and the library??!
    -Mav
    The reason for this is the same as it has always been. Every change or addition to your .fla is simply appended to the end of the file for quick saving. This means however when you remove a sound the noted change is just appended onto the end of the file again. The information may not be in the library anymore, but the file remnants still are.

Director has a great function called Save and Compact...this is just like doing a Save As with a diferent file name in Flash. It rewrites the Save file to only include relevant data. They should just implement that in Flash....maybe someday....